Troy's Mark IIC Thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I got a Mark IIC not long ago and have done quite a bit of research but still have many questions. First off, here's my amp:

http://picasaweb.google.com/troyguitar/Boogie#

It's a IIC combo with EQ, Reverb, 100/60 switch, the 100 transformer, and an Eminence Lil' Texas (the thing is still quite heavy despite the tiny speaker!). I'm running it with a closed-back peavey 1x12 with the stock Sheffield underneath.

My overall impression is that it sounds great but maybe a little bit too harsh and perhaps lacking in the gain department (if I want to play metal and have a clean channel).

I'm wondering if the harshness is only present when playing by myself and will just translate to cutting through nicely in a band mix?

Otherwise, I'm wondering about doing the C > C+ mod. I've read that it supposedly adds gain and smoothness, but how much? Will I still be able to change settings to get a tone similar to my current IIC tone?

Right now I feel like I have a great cutting rhythm tone but the lead tone is a little shrill even when using a neck pickup. I would turn the treble down but I need it at 10 to have enough gain for a saturated tone.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for now. I'll add more to this thread later.

Rock on

gts said:
(Btw your cooling fan is plugged into the "wrong" outlet on the amp.
underneath on the left (looking at it from the back) there is another.
It's to the left of the power transformer.

:lol: Good call! I would never have noticed that hidden outlet.

I'd say it's easier to get a C+ to sound like a IIC than the other way around. From what I've heard, the mod will change the amp; depending on what you want it could be for the better.

Before doing the mod, I'd experiment with preamp tubes. VOS tubes can really change the flavor of the tone and feel of the amp. You could write a book with all the tube info on this board! Here's a great place to start:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&highlight=timbre+wolf

Also search for threads with Timbre Wolf, stokes, shredd6, Mavguy. You'll see these guys have some very worthwhile observations about tubes.

You might experiment with some different speakers as well. Sometimes speakers that sound really chimey and bright when clean turn shrill and ice picky with high gain sounds. I have one of those peavy cabs laying around but the stock speaker sucked. If you're running the treble at 10 for gain you should probably have the amp checked out for possible tubes and recap. The C+ conversion would probably impress you.

It will get you gain and smoothness...but not originality. Not many IIC's are gonna be around because practically everyone does the mod on it. If you want originality keep the IIC+. Get a guitar with dark sounding (aged) wood, dark pickups and also a mid oriented or dark sounding speaker (no altecs or JBL's they are HIFI bright).

Changing to IIC+ will give you a sound that practically everyone on this board (including me) is using.

Just my 2c...

glawk said:
It will get you gain and smoothness...but not originality. Not many IIC's are gonna be around because practically everyone does the mod on it. If you want originality keep the IIC+. Get a guitar with dark sounding (aged) wood, dark pickups and also a mid oriented or dark sounding speaker (no altecs or JBL's they are HIFI bright).

Changing to IIC+ will give you a sound that practically everyone on this board (including me) is using.

Just my 2c...

Yes! This is a great advice.... :wink:
Here you can get some settings to make tone experiments on your IIC; these settings were so much helpful for me!
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/settings.html
However....your IIC can give you years of sound satisfaction, don't mod it as a IIC+....

Is it just me or are those settings insane?

Presence and Treble both at 7 - 10 with both "Pull Bright" switches engaged for Rock/Metal/Fusion tones?

Sure it will cut through the mix like a chainsaw through warm butter, but your ears will be ringing for days...

You could also pick upa used or new Black Shadow (EV12L) Speaker and swap it in. Its a bit darker (?) and might help tame the high end a bit?

troyguitar said:
Is it just me or are those settings insane?

Presence and Treble both at 7 - 10 with both "Pull Bright" switches engaged for Rock/Metal/Fusion tones?

Sure it will cut through the mix like a chainsaw through warm butter, but your ears will be ringing for days...

Yes...presence settings are really crazy...mostly I use it at 4 or 5, not more. However the Treble settings are correct: remember that Treble, Mid and Bass in Boogie's influence each other like no other amps. So, treble settings from 7 to 10 can add more gain without creating a "mosquito" sound....try it! These suggestions are really good but, as usual, you must try and fit them to your sound ideas... :wink:
Then guitars, pickups, speakers and (obviously) your hands do the rest..... :)

Latest posts

Back