Triple Recto presence control ques.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan28

Reaction score
I love the tone I have acheived, but when jammin with the band I want it to cut through the mix more. I dont have the presence control set past 12,
my question is if i increase the presence control will it cut through better?

Or is presence control just a treble booster?

Yes, it will cut through better because it gives your notes more attack and teeth, think of it as a focus knob. The more you add, the more focused your attack will be but you sacrafice some smooth sustain and ease of playing.

I actually recently started to play with the presence maxed on all 3 channels. @ first this was quite harsh until I dialed out the nasties. I like it because I get great edge and I can dial in all of the chunk I want. What I do is turn the mids down in order to keep that sustain that it apears to be removed. (Settings are with PRS Dragon II Pickups)I have my gain set @ 2:45 oclock, my Bass @ about 9:45-10, my mids are @ about 8:45(would be 9 but the sustain starts to go away @ that point and it starts to get the nasities) and my treble is set to about 10. This setting is used on channel 2 and for channel 3 I bring the bass up to about 1 oclock to compensate for the channel presence difference. I really like this setting because I can hear myself well, it cuts through and my sound is really tight. Wen I back the volume off on my guitar things dont mudd out on me either so I can use that for clean-er sparkle. :wink:

JamesD said:
I will have to give those settings a try tomorrow at practice.

Definatly! Let me know how that works for you! Also, remember that those settings came with a Gibson SG with Dragon II Pickups in it. These are a fairly low-mid output pickup so if your running EMG's in that Viper or something else in that Schector, you might need to let your ear walk to the correct position on the B-M-T. These settings are relative to the instrument. You might use this theory when adjusting B-M-T: You are going to turn the knob off where the tone is fairly muddy or dull and then turn the knob up just to the point where you have clarity but things are still warm. The Presence will bring allot of clarity to things so your settings will most likely be lower than they were on the B-M-T due to the added presence but I think that you will find a warmer tone with the presence like this and still be really shiny sounding @ the same time. It will give your hand or playing the opportunity to really come through and give you more of an "its all in your fingers" kind of tone allowing you to clean things up by playing light or get nasty and compressed when you dig in. Your harmonics will increase to the level you want them to be @ and in my opinion your overall sustain will increase if the EQ is set right. Again, let me know if you have any questions and how this Idea works for you--feel free to PM if you want-- 8)

Back