Triple recto or Stilletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stealth

Reaction score
Hey guys was up ...I'm buying a new amp and I'm sort of stuck between those two.Im playing mostly 70's and 80's music but always with an edge...I like it heavy and I like my sound modern.I am leaning toward the triple but would like your opinion...don't know much about the Stilletto except that Andy Timmons is using it and I like his sound a lot!!So if you could help me I would appreciate. Also with those modern high gain amps like the triple, can you pass through the mix good?Thanx in advance!!
Stealth

Andy Timmons used Marshalls to record in the studio. He uses the Stiletto for live performances because of the ruggedness. Do NOT get a Triple Rectifier. Get a Dual Rectifier or better yet a Roadster (50-100watt). 150 watts is way too much power for you. You will get folks selling you on a Road King, but I bought the Roadster for the 6L6 sounds. If you want a good EL34 sound, get a Marshall. I am not impressed with Mesa's stab at the Brit/Marshall sound.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
Andy Timmons used Marshalls to record in the studio. He uses the Stiletto for live performances because of the ruggedness. Do NOT get a Triple Rectifier. Get a Dual Rectifier or better yet a Roadster (50-100watt). 150 watts is way too much power for you. You will get folks selling you on a Road King, but I bought the Roadster for the 6L6 sounds. If you want a good EL34 sound, get a Marshall. I am not impressed with Mesa's stab at the Brit/Marshall sound.

Its all opinions thats what the forum for . I totally disagree with you on this one . I think the Stiletto is a great amp . I think you would be fine with a Stiletto for EL34 sound . RK is also a great amp . Much more versital than the Roadster . But then it should be .

Stealth said:
Also with those modern high gain amps like the triple, can you pass through the mix good?Thanx in advance!!

I've never had any issues cutting through a mix with my Triple. It's all in the EQ, but the basic Mesa sound will cut just fine.

eaeolian said:
Stealth said:
Also with those modern high gain amps like the triple, can you pass through the mix good?Thanx in advance!!

I've never had any issues cutting through a mix with my Triple. It's all in the EQ, but the basic Mesa sound will cut just fine.

+1 I Never Have any trouble being heard, and am normally the one being told to turn down because I'm coming out over the PA system hahaha (on stage with a Stilleto Deuce and a Krank Revolution Series 1) I've always liked having 50 more watts than everybody else.....just in case :twisted:

-AJH

If you ever want any power tube saturation don't get the triple.
You can get to tube saturation with a roadster or dual a lot easier (but even still, they are friggin loud).

jackieTHEjokeman said:

Also gonna have to disagree, the Stiletto has more tone than any Marshall I've ever played save for an actual Plexi... and even then the Plexi was good at ONE sound, the Stiletto is a jack of all trades amp at a stupidly cheap price point for the tone.

gonna have to go with the STILETTO .i have a DEUCE and a DUAL RECTO.right now im lovin the tones from the Stiletto,just about everywhere u dial it in it sounds good,no bad tone s here.on the other hand u can really make a Recto sound like crap..you say you like it heavy well heavy is in the way you play not just the amp,although the amp is part of it.the STILETTO also has great cleans.so good luck on your journey to great tone,your already half way there,cause your gonna choose a MESA.

jackieTHEjokeman said:

If you go to Andy's website forum, you will see that he used the Lone star and The Stilletto for the new album "resolution"

I have a Triple and my sound is really heavy.

Very punchy and solid and comes out over everything else in the bands I have jammed with.

Back