Triple Recto - High gain plus high treble and presence

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ltd2recto said:
Your recorded tone sounds pretty good. However, if that was the gain on 10, I think something is wrong unless you have a super light pick attack. My amps gain on 10 is pretty much nuclear meltdown. I usually run 1 O'clock with a boost & it's screamin.

Are you still using the stock pre amp tubes?

Yeah, I'm still using the stock tubes. Is there a big difference or something? The thing is, like I said I tried the exact same setting on a Dual Rectifier in the store and it sounded fine - maybe even a little better, since the head was running through a Mesa cabinet as well.

Now I have the gain on about 1 O'clock as well with an overdrive pedal and it sounds pretty good.

You said you're runnig a G system... if you're using the "four cable method" (running through the front end of the G system before you go into the amp), I'd check the levels on the G system to make sure they're set right. I'd also check the loop signal level, but of course the front end matters the most. If you're accidentally attenuating your input signal, that could cause what you described. G Systems are picky when it comes to setting levels.

I'd also consider checking your preamp tubes.

One other thing, I've noticed on my triple that at low volumes I need more treble and presence than I do at higher volume. That might also explain why you run yours so high.

Good luck!

Ugmo

Does the pedal add noise in YOUR rig?
is that a problem for YOU?
Being a triple rec I doubt you ever get the volume turned up too high on it so the poweramp should be staying pretty clean for all your playing even if your playing "loud" your probably using only about 25% of the volume that its capable of so it shouldn't add much more noise compared to your practice volume

From that recording I think your set up sounds great. It probably doesn't need to be messed with.
Mesa amps are prone to making the user constantly tweak them. You must resist.

Back