Triple Rec re-tube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jm1681 said:
eaeolian said:
...changing your speakers will make a MUCH bigger difference than preamp tubes.
New thread...

IMO speakers have a more drastic effect on your sound than anything except the amp itself...tubes, strings, pickups, guitars....anything. As far as preamp tubes, right now I have the Tungsol in V1, JJ hi-gains in V2 and V3, a Mesa SPAX7 in V4 and a balanced hi-gain JJ in the PI (V5) with no complaints. Speaker upgrade coming soon....EVM12L's in one cab and either C-90's or an EV/C-90 mix in the other. As soon as my "financial advisor" approves (anyone wanna buy a nice harley?)

NoGlassNoClass said:
...I have the Tungsol in V1, JJ hi-gains in V2 and V3, a Mesa SPAX7 in V4 and a balanced hi-gain JJ in the PI (V5) with no complaints...
****!

I never knew you could mix/match like that.

As for speakers, I think I'm going to aim for EVM12Ls (200 watt version, not the new black labels). Probably the bottom two just to start. If I like where that goes, the top two will get swapped out for C90s, maybe two more 12Ls.

jm1681 said:
NoGlassNoClass said:
...I have the Tungsol in V1, JJ hi-gains in V2 and V3, a Mesa SPAX7 in V4 and a balanced hi-gain JJ in the PI (V5) with no complaints...
****!

I never knew you could mix/match like that.

In the preamp section, you can pretty much run whatever you want. What I started out with was the hi-gain preamp kit from www.eurotubes.com (all JJ's). Tried the tungsol in V1...sounds good so I left it there. The JJ in V4 failed so I just stuck the Mesa in there since I had it laying around (V4 is the FX loop driver/return so as long as the tube works and isn't noisy you can put whatever here...doesn't need to be high gain)

eaeolian said:
NoGlassNoClass said:
The new Mesa STR 440 is the Ruby 6L6GC-MSTR which are supposed to be very nice...a copy of the old Sylvania STR. (I just got a set of these yesterday...will report on them after rehearsal on Wed)

I've been using these for about a year. They kick the crap out of the 430s - they have a much more "musical" midrange, and are nice and punchy while still having that 6L6 "scoop".

+1 eaeolian the 440's are nice. Seemed a bit "forward" in the mids at first, but after a couple hours of putting the heat to them they mellowed out nicely. Not as agressive as the JJ's, and maybe not quite as deep as the 454 (sed =C=), but WAY more musical in a band mix (IMO of course). Guitar is very punchy, cuts thru with ease, and doesnt interfere with the bass. Note for this test I did not change my settings from where I've been running with the 430, 454, and JJ....dont think I will either (at least not very much)

Latest posts

Back