triple rec preamp swap, how to do it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk19

Reaction score
hi

I am new on this forum, I come from belgium and heard good things about tung sol preamp tubes so I like to trie them in my triple recto. Is the proces of swapping them just like changing a power tube? Wiggle em out and then put a new one in? Or is there something special that I must take in consideration? I dont want to damage my head but want to do it myself because I think if you have a tube amp you should know something about it.
Just a quick propably a stupid question: the preamp sockets are on the pc board right? If I push them to hard in their sockets is there a change that the pc board will be damaged? I know its astupid question but here in belgium a triple rec cost well over 3000 dollars so better be sure

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

You got it... have at it.

Like in any amp, align the preamp tube by turning it one pin at a time until it seats the furthest that it will then gently seat the tube completely until you feel a slight resistance from the socket. Preamp tube replacement is almost as easy as power tubes. The only differences being one more pin in the pinout, the center pin, the alignment key on the center pin, and obviously the size. I can understand your concern, but I wouldn't let it consume me to the point that I would be afraid of changing out a tube.

just one quick question: it is probably a good idea to take the amp out the wooden cab, so I can work on the chassis only? Or is there an easier way, for example removing the power tubes so I can reach the preamp tubes?

You can just remove the power tubes, and then it's not too hard to twist the preamp tube shields to get them off. There's plenty of clearance to get the tubes out. It took me a screwdriver and less than five minutes to change V1, and most of that was removing the "protector bar" on the back of the head.

I hope you like the TungSol - I'm rapidly bevoming it's biggest advocate.

I read about tung sol here, and many people found them great in their amps so I am going to give it a trie tomorrow. I will post my findings here after testing to help others out too

For you TungSol users.. how does the V1/V2 combo do on the 3rd channel modern setting of rectos? I liked the JJECC83S because it got some of the harshness out of that channel but something about it just didn't sound right to me so I put the Mesa ones back in.

I will answer that in just a couple of days when I get my tubes from ups

Platypus said:
For you TungSol users.. how does the V1/V2 combo do on the 3rd channel modern setting of rectos? I liked the JJECC83S because it got some of the harshness out of that channel but something about it just didn't sound right to me so I put the Mesa ones back in.

I don't have one in V2, but having a TungSol in V1 got rid of the "trash" in Ch3/Mod without making it too dark. (I thought the JJs made it too dark, which is why I went back to the Mesas.) It does tame the aggression just a tad, but in a good way, if that makes any sense...

eaeolian said:
Platypus said:

I don't have one in V2, but having a TungSol in V1 got rid of the "trash" in Ch3/Mod without making it too dark. (I thought the JJs made it too dark, which is why I went back to the Mesas.) It does tame the aggression just a tad, but in a good way, if that makes any sense...

I drew similar conclusions with the JJ.. took some of the harsh bark out of it. Interesting. I may have to give these a whirl.

I should probably qualify all this by saying I use Celestion G12K-85s, which sound almost identical to the Mesa C90s, instead of V30s like most people do with their Rectos. So I have a slightly different starting point. However, I've had several people tell me the JJs were too dark for them even with V30s...

after fitting in the tung sol preamps, I must say there is definatly a difference here. I like em alot, all of my modes are warmer

Latest posts

Back