Triple Rec makes noise when turned on.. Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender101punk

Reaction score
I just bought this Triple rec head last week for $725 CAD (690 USD?) and it's in mint condition. It only has one problem. If you have the pedal plugged in, and turn the amp on, it makes a buzzing noise. It sounds like it's coming from just the head. It's not being amplified by the speakers. If you turn the amp on without the pedal plugged in, it doesn't make a noise.

Pedal plugged in:

Unplugged:

The guy told me he called Mesa Boogie and talked to them about it. I forget exactly what he said but he told me it wasn't a big problem. I thought since the head was cheap enough it didn't matter to me. I just turn the amp on, then plug in the footswitch after. But I'm really curious as to why it makes this noise!

Any help is appreciated.

I know it only happens with the footswitch plugged in, but that really sounds like a preamp tube going south.

And for that price, that is a small problem for sure. Good find!

And second of all, unlike 99.9% of people with a problem on this forum, thanks for actually posting vids of the problem. Helps alot.

It's the channel switching relays powering up - you can tell from it being sync'ed with the lights for channel 1 and 3 flickering on. There may be a bit of a glitch if it tries to power up all of the circuitry at once - there are a lot of relays in these amps. If it works perfectly after that, and doesn't do it if you power up first and *then* plug the footswitch in, I probably wouldn't worry too much.

+1 on the video, great!

Thanks for the replies!

The only reason I bought the triple rec was to test it out for a bit then sell it for profit. I already have a Dual Rec sitting beside it. They sound the same to me. I just don't want to be responsible for the Triple rec when it needs new tubes :shock: ! haha. The guy I bought it from told me he bought it new 2 years ago and never gigged with it. He brought it to my house and told me all about it (I didn't tell him I had another recto upstairs :lol: ) and seemed like a nice and honest guy. So I'm not sure how a pre-amp tube would go bad if he didn't gig with it and its in mint shape? Could it just be a defective tube? Or a different issue?

Just want a good explaination of what may be the problem so I can explain it to the person I may be selling or trading with. Have a few trades lined up.. Fender 62 reissue jazzmaster, orange rockerverb 50 head and a 1987 marshall 25/50 2550 Silver Jubilee head.

So it doesn't seem like something to be worried about. The guy with the marshall jubilee just sent me pictures. mint condition. I told him about the buzzing noise and what I was told on here. I might give Boogie a call to see what they have to say. Hopefully he doesn't have a problem with it and wants to trade. I think the silver Jubilee is worth more than my recto?

The Silver Jubilee is worth a decent amount of cash. If you are only doing it for monetary reasons, that is indeed a good trade. Put the Marshall on eBay and make good dough too.

Just got an email back from him.. He put it on Ebay for $2800 and got offers well over 2000 he said.. And he told me he doesn't want to trade anymore.. Bummer.. Just when I twas getting all excited. :x

Mine has always done that. And your right, it doesn't do it when you have the footswitch unplugged. Never really thought much of it...just thought its one of those tube amp things. Had the amp for six months and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it...not going to worry.

Don't be disappointed - the Rectifier is *way* more amp than a Jubilee. I quite like Jubilees but they aren't worth as amps what they sell for due to rarity. They are a single-channel amp with a boost mode that uses solid-state diode clipping, and build quality a little below that of a Mesa - although still better than anything Marshall has made since. They do have a fairly unique tone but I would bet that you could get very close with a Recto.

Today I traded the triple rec for an Orange Rockerverb 50. I love this amp. The gain channel has more of an organic sound to it. And the clean channel is much better than the rectifier. So far it seems to have the sound that I've been looking for. But I still need to test it out with the band. I still like my dual rec. It has more gain and seems to be heavier sounding. I think I'm going to sell one of my guitars and just keep both heads!

So heres the orange I traded for. It's 7 months old. I have the receipt, box and footswitch. Love this thing

P1171611.jpg

P1171613.jpg

P1171615.jpg

The guy's friend thought every amp made that noise that the triple rec did. So I don't think he really cared. Wasn't a big deal by the sounds of it

Is it just me or does anyone think that the power chords for the Rectifiers and Orange amps are really low quality? I guess it really doesn't matter...just thinking out loud. :roll:

plapnab said:
Is it just me or does anyone think that the power chords for the Rectifiers and Orange amps are really low quality? I guess it really doesn't matter...just thinking out loud. :roll:

The rectifier's power cord seems high quality compared to the Orange. The Orange's power cord is small and flimsy IMO. I wonder if it's the one it came with or a cheap replacement.

I think I just found a great deal?

My brand new Dual Rec for a Mint Limited Edition PRS 20th Anniversary with case and case candy. Bird inlays, set neck, green flame top..

Any opinions?

fender101punk said:

My brand new Dual Rec for a Mint Limited Edition PRS 20th Anniversary with case and case candy. Bird inlays, set neck, green flame top..

Any opinions?

Wow. Money-wise thats a pretty good deal. That PRS would sound great through that new Rockerverb!

fluff191 said:
fender101punk said:

Any opinions?

Wow. Money-wise thats a pretty good deal. That PRS would sound great through that new Rockerverb!

I don't know how I find all of these good deals.. :shock:

I'm still trying to work out a deal with that marshall jubilee.. but the guy seems to be all over the place with what he wants.. I might have to go for the PRS if it's a good deal. Should only go up in price too

I agree...money wise it probably would make sense. Also, it's not like you couldn't find another DR later. They're on Ebay quite often. I used to have a Marshall Jubilee half stack about 15 years ago. I didn't like it at all. Traded the head for a Rockman XP100 (100watt power amp with built in effects board and no speakers). Should have hung on to that one. It was a somewhat rare model for that brand. I wonder if it would have been worth something...never see them on ebay.

Latest posts

Back