Triode/Pentode switch on mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatright

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding a triode/pentode switch to my green stripe mk III (outer tubes only- EL34s). Has anyone here done this? I actually stayed late after practice and played it for an hour... It's dialed now! Seriously, with my Edwards Les Paul it sounds phenomenal... It's heaven.

But... My tech will do this mod for 20 bucks when I get the r2 volume mod done. I figure I might as well for added versatility. I've never played the older stripe mark IIIs that had the outer pair wired in triode. I actually chose the green stripe since they are wired in pentode but you know... What the hell. Any experience and observations on the differences would be appreciated!

The Pentode/Triode is a pretty sweet switch, It can be Done Super Easy. you just need some super heavy wire and a high voltage switch. Sound wise , Pentode sounds HUGE Thick and Bass heavy. Super Tight and Awesome. Triode is tighter, less boomy and alittle more mid ranged, both make awesome sounds.

Really its a mod that switches your amp from green stripe to blue stripe.

Awesome. I couldn't have asked for a better response. It's a no brainer to do it I think. It'll only make it more versatile even though I'm sure I'll still play through pentode.

Shep said:
The Pentode/Triode is a pretty sweet switch, It can be Done Super Easy. you just need some super heavy wire and a high voltage switch. Sound wise , Pentode sounds HUGE Thick and Bass heavy. Super Tight and Awesome. Triode is tighter, less boomy and alittle more mid ranged, both make awesome sounds.

Really its a mod that switches your amp from green stripe to blue stripe.

sweet! so can you tell us how to do it? im planning to do this to my mark III as well. :wink:

big question for me is HOW to do it? Or more so, where to do it? What's the popular spot to put the switch so that it "kinda" looks factory? Ideally, I think the most badass thing to do on a Greeny would be the triode/pentode switch AND somehow, find a way to add a 500pF/1000pF cap for C30 on some kind of 3-way (on/off/on switch maybe?) to give you switchable range of 500pF, 1000pF, or empty for C30.

Testing the triode/pentode switch on my Mark IV-B, has me REALLY wanting the triode mode, because it's A LOT more mild, not as punchy, and a little bit of the highs are rolled off. I can see why the green is kind of a love or hate it, it's basically like blue, super crushing and aggressive but is even punchier and has a little bit more high-end b/c the pentode wiring, IMO it's better than the blue, or any other Mark out there for rhythm, but it has trouble doing the smooth/mild thing for leads.

DPDT switch and some wire, and you are set. Disconnect the buss-wire side the screen-grid resistor on the outer sockets (Not pin #3) and use the switch to determine which socket terminal that it connects to. The switch will have 6 terminals, I believe.

Latest posts

Back