Tried out an ACE today...... WOW!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
Ok, instead of going down to a Rectoverb, I may have found my next Boogie!!

This thing was pretty SWEET!

The cleans were't as good as I was hoping, but I'd be a/b-ing it with an AC30 anyways (and currently use my Roadster for distortion only) so I don't see why it wouldn't work. But the cleans on the Ace could get me by just fine if I needed them to....... I just wish it had reverb.

**** it Dude! You're Killin' Me!

Just jokin'! But I did want to say that thanks to you, your comments (and others) and your clips you helped me decide on the Roadster and I love it!!!!

I already tried the ace and it was nice but not what I really wanted or needed so I'm happy with the decision I made.

Just please please please DON'T start trying out Mark IV's next! I've over spent as it is!

Just jokin'! I hope you get where you want to be! Keep us posted!

Ahhhhh.....

Stick around long enough and you'll see I'm kinda crazy when it comes to my amps. This is my 23rd amp in 3 years!!!

My style of music is kind of changing and the Rectifier tone works, but a "british" tone would work a little better and I don't want to go Marshall. Who know's, I may change my mind tomorrow (kind of goes with the "crazy" part of my amp deals).

It's actually not too smart going from a 4 cahnnel do it all amp to a 2 channel amp that I'll need to buy a reverb pedal for.

We'll see what happens??

tele_jas, I swear you're working for Mesa!!!! :lol:

I'm glad you've found the answer. I love my stiletto trident, but can't justify my new order: RK II head. I'm hoping the EL34 option would cover that.

Too Funny! But I hear ya on the going through amps. I've been through several myself over the last couple of years.

I remember seeing you had tried the EL34's in the roadster but didn't like the affect they had on the roadster cleans. Given your new "tone goal" do you think you might revisit that option on the Roadster?

I really like the recto tones in the roadster and the brit mode is ok but I too wouldn't mind having a second amp like the ace to handle the more Marshally stuff. For now the brit mode with the 6L6's is getting me by.

tele_jas said:
Ahhhhh.....

Stick around long enough and you'll see I'm kinda crazy when it comes to my amps. This is my 23rd amp in 3 years!!!

you gotta be kidding me . . . :shock:

i mean, WOW!! even at my craziest GAS periods i dont do that! LOL!! :lol:

I think my favorite setting on my old Road King was the Brit mode, it blew away the Roadsters and the new RKII's Brit mode. After a years time I was only using the "recto" tone on about 2 songs a night and the Brit mode on about 90% of the distortion stuff. but I sometimes had to kick in a distortion pedal to get me up to the gain level I needed....... With the ace, it's the Brit mode with about 2 or 3 times more gain (more than enough for even "Metal" - and I was trying it out with a stock telecaster).

I think the thing that got me the most was when I flipped around from bold to spongy and tube to solid state rectifier.... I heard "the Brown sound" from that amp, hell it was even Browner than Eddies modern tone (think Peavey 5150). Not that I'm buying it for that tone, but it's a very "touch sensitive" amp and I could hear every string in my chord I played, and tons of rich harmonic overtones.

I love my Ace combo - it is my favourite Mesa amp ever! Great for the bark and bite of those EL34s and the clean channel is also lovely.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

I tried the Ace, absolutely slays with humbuckers. I've tried it several times now and I can't seem to get a good single coil, slightly distorted sound out of it though. Best of luck to you, hope it works out!

I tried one out this weekend and was very impressed. The clean is very nice, but when I A/B'd it with an F50 (whcih is what I currently own), the F50's clean was still better IMO. But the gain on the Ace definitely suits me better than the gain on the F50. Since I play with gain more than I play clean, I'm thinking I could probably trade the F50 for an Ace and be satisfied. But it will take me a while to save up the difference, and who knows what else will be out by then.

fredster said:
I tried the Ace, absolutely slays with humbuckers. I've tried it several times now and I can't seem to get a good single coil, slightly distorted sound out of it though. Best of luck to you, hope it works out!

I play my ace mainly through p90s and i have no problems getting a good crunch sound outta it. set it to crunch mode, turn it up and go!

That's why I went with the Roadster head, although, I really think I would have been happier with the combo.

I tried the new DR, SR, Mark IV, Ace & Roadster. The Roadster won, hands down, for the amount of tonal territory it covered without having to change any knob settings. I had a Mark IV that was great on Channels 1 & 3 with single coils, but I couldn't get a great tone out of channel 2. Plus, it didn't have the "Solo" option.

What really got me about the Roadster was how easy it was to dial in a great tone in all of the channels. It may not have been what I was expecting or looking for, but great none-the-less. When I change the settings, it just makes me want to play differently.

Now all I need is time to play it.

Tele, I swear, you change amps like I used to change girlfriends. :D :D :D

See, here's where the madness begins...... I just put a set of EL34's in my Roadster and messed around with it for about 2 hours and I really like the distortion quite a bit. I even changed the wattage to 50 wts on my main distortion and put it on "recto tracking" and it sounds pretty "Brown" to me..... But I'm at "bedroom" level again (family's asleep), but this is what I'm waking up to in the morning and I gonna crank it a little and wake the kids for school with some chunkin.

I'm nutz!! :shock:

You should really give the Roadster some more time......

I really dig the brit mode on my RK II with EL34s (I actually like it better with 2 ELs + 2 6Ls), spongy.....

Patience ....... :roll:

Gave one a shot earlier today. I think I'm the only person alive who is completely unimpressed with them. The thing was just cold, hard and grating no matter what I did to it.

What kind of guitar did you use with it? I'm no fanboy but I seriously cannot find a tone in the Ace even remotely close to the adjectives you used.

Talus said:
Gave one a shot earlier today. I think I'm the only person alive who is completely unimpressed with them. The thing was just cold, hard and grating no matter what I did to it.

:shock: :? Just what amp are you talking about?

JAZZGEAR said:
Talus said:

The ACE. Tried a Les Paul an SG a Strat and my Ibanez SZ530 through it. Just not my thing. I've heard a few clips on here of them and those didn't really float my boat either, although they were better than the sounds I was coming up with in the store.

Gave the Roaster a shot too, would have walked out of the store with it had I the money for it. Way more bells and whistles than I'd ever need, but I didn't even have to touch the settings and it sounded good.

Best sounding amp in there was some 18 watt Dr Z. I could barely get a clean sound on the Strat, nevermind the other guitars, but my god the amp sounded like something you'd get if you crossed Eric Johnson with SRV. I would have walked out the door with that amp had it more power. I had the master volume up full, and after about 20 minutes nobody had come over to tell me to shut up.

Talus said:
JAZZGEAR said:
Talus said:

The ACE. Tried a Les Paul an SG a Strat and my Ibanez SZ530 through it. Just not my thing. I've heard a few clips on here of them and those didn't really float my boat either, although they were better than the sounds I was coming up with in the store.

Gave the Roaster a shot too, would have walked out of the store with it had I the money for it. Way more bells and whistles than I'd ever need, but I didn't even have to touch the settings and it sounded good.

Best sounding amp in there was some 18 watt Dr Z. I could barely get a clean sound on the Strat, nevermind the other guitars, but my god the amp sounded like something you'd get if you crossed Eric Johnson with SRV. I would have walked out the door with that amp had it more power. I had the master volume up full, and after about 20 minutes nobody had come over to tell me to shut up.

Sounds like maybe you're more of an EL84/Vox guy? I guess that's why there are so many amp builders out there - there's something for everyone. See, I tried a DR Z MAZ Jr. and the amp did nothing for me, while the Ace blows me away.

Back