Triaxis w/ 2:20 or Rectifer w/ EL84's....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scary Guy IRL

Reaction score
1) Is it done often?

2) How does it sound? Does it make it sound 'different' or just better at low volumes?

3) Would a Marshall 20/20 differ much from a Mesa 20/20? Same tubes etc...

Thanks
-Conor D-

Not *quite* sure what you're asking for, but...

I used to run a Triaxis -> 20/20 rig through a Marshall 4x12. "Quiet" was not a word I would chose to describe the sound. Very versatile, very loud. I could go from skanky ska to jazz to Vernon Reid/Metallica/heavier than I ever needed, to absolutely gorgeous Mark I sounds. The rig sounded it's best when I retubed the Triaxis (w/ RFT & JJ - HUGE difference) and then the 20/20 (JJ EL84s and EH input - tightened up the bass, nixed some mud that was there, and took what little hiss there was OUT, too). oh, and use high quality interconnects!

The main playing i'll be going will be Bedroom Playing/ Studio/ Band Jams, and eventually Gigs. But the main thing i'm after is Bedroom playing, i don't want something that will destroy my bedroom, but i dont want something that will be tip-toe quiet. So i wanna know, is there any advantage with the 20/20 of playing at lower volumes?

No... Not really. You'll scare the neighbors turning it up past 3... you know, where it has to be to get good tone? It's a Boogie, man. Everyone say it at once: "attenuator"!

Latest posts

Back