Triaxis... not really happy with it

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jev0

Reaction score
I bought 2 years ago a second hand modded Triaxis and a 2:90. Everybody says it is a great gear and so on.
After 2 years using it, I've noticed some lack of mid-low frequencies that make it weak, and I haven't found a superb tone yet.
Is it probably to be broken?
LD1 makes too muc noises and Treble/Bas/Mid buttons seem not to affect anything to the tone when you're tweaking.

There are other cheaper preamps like Engl E530 sounds better IMO, so what's up with the triaxis? Is it overrrated and overpriced or the problem is that my unit is fucked?

Yes, I changed tubes.

I think there might be something wrong, because my Triaxis produces TOO MUCH low-mids.

Try this setting on LD1 Red
6.0, 5.5, 7.0, 6.0, 6.0, 0.0, 5.0, 5.0, 2.0 and switch on Modern on the 2:90. There should be a lot of low-mids present here. I actually use a Tube Screamer before the Triaxis, and a Boss EQ that is sucking 200 hz out to clear up the mud.

What kind of mod?

Two years to find no usable sounds?

My Triaxis/Coliseum300 sounds incredible with tons of low mids. Sounds like your Tri is hosed.

Well, I sent the triaxis to the technician. We'll see what happens.

@PG13, I'm running it thourgh a Marshall AV1960 (V30's)

@tedsticle, LD1 is not working well i guess so i don't use it. There are some kind of noises... I opened a thread about it last year. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45870
Sorry, didn't mean the low-mids, but mids, it is kind of weak...I have to try my TS7 in front of the triaxis.

@THTH, I think the mod was the typical rectifier mod.
And yes, I have usable tones in LD2 red mode, and cleans are awesome, I played many gigs with it, but there is something missing in the sound. When micing for a recording is when you realize about those things. I will have to hire a 5150 or Engl Savage for the reamping sessions. :(

Jev0 said:
Well, I sent the triaxis to the technician. We'll see what happens.

@PG13, I'm running it thourgh a Marshall AV1960 (V30's)

@tedsticle, LD1 is not working well i guess so i don't use it. There are some kind of noises... I opened a thread about it last year. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45870
Sorry, didn't mean the low-mids, but mids, it is kind of weak...I have to try my TS7 in front of the triaxis.

@THTH, I think the mod was the typical rectifier mod.
And yes, I have usable tones in LD2 red mode, and cleans are awesome, I played many gigs with it, but there is something missing in the sound. When micing for a recording is when you realize about those things. I will have to hire a 5150 or Engl Savage for the reamping sessions. :(

If the mids are weak then it could be any number of issues, and if it aint the tubes then it definitely needs to be looked at by a tech. So, good call on that.

The only unusable channel on my Triaxis is LD1 RED.

I really hope that you can get your Triaxis fixed because it is such a wonderful pre and it really sucks to hear someone having these type of issues with it. I have an Engl530 and it sounds good, but it isn't a Triaxis. Creamy mids is what makes this pre amazing. The nice thing about it is that it has its own voice. I dunno...I'm ranting at this point.

I use a GCX Signal Processor that puts a TS808 in front of most of my dirty settings, and I use an outboard EQ (KFK MXR STEREO EQ) to get my sound. My sound settings on the Tri are LD2 Yellow Gain at 7.0, Treb 6.5, Mid 4, Bass 3 then my 2:Ninety with Deep and Modern settings engaged.

Take it for what it is and I hope everything works out.

Latest posts

Back