Tremoverb - Which Cab is Best?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LockStock

Reaction score
Hello all - what cab and speaker combos have you used with your Tremoverb for best results?

Is the matching Rectifier cab necessarily the best choice?

I recently fell in love with the 3/4 back cabs... Give them a try... They are a good mix of bass response and open highs...

I don't like the rectifier cabs. They are too fizzy and lack character IMO...

I run both the slant and straight 4x12 recto cabs with the stock V30s on stage. I've plugged into various other cabinets my buddies have, i.e. Marshall, Fender, Hiwatt, Orange, etc. and found each to have unique strengths and/or weaknesses. The recto cabs are working out just fine for me. I like their tone and generally get good comments from other guitar players as well, and I play tones from very clean up to maximum gain.

I absolutely love the mix of a 1x12 thiele and 1x12 open back (both of mine have thieles) for the rectifier line. I'm not a huge fan of the recto cabs with rectos, but love my recto 2x12 with my mark iv. Try out as many cabs as you can, because you never know what will work for you.

Here's what I've used so far with mine.

TP Parter said:
I've used the amp with a decent variety of speaker set ups including;

The 2 V30's in the combo

The 2 V30's in the combo, and 2 EV12L in a halfback cab, holy Metalocalypse Batman.

2 EV12L in the halfback cab (absolute clarity clean and driven, and powerful low end attack for heavy styles, with a warm, smooth, and overwhelmingly powerful sound)

1 EV12L in the ported bottom section of the halfback cab (above times 1/2, great for lower volume jamming)

Peavy 5150 Sheffield Cab (blech)

Bogner 4x12 with V30's (I miss that cab, but the two set ups below sound better, excelled for all clean to high gain rock and metal tones, with that V30 grind)

Halfback cab loaded with 2 Fane Alnico AXA12 (YUMMMMMMY, excels from vintage clean to heavier than hell tones, but does it with a vintage smoothness, brilliant glassy and ripped upper midrange grind and warm fuzzy lowend punch)

Halfback cab loaded with 1 Fane in top section, and 1 EV12L loaded in the ported bottom (SUPER YUMMMMMMY, excels from vintage to heavier than hell tones, and does it with a vintage smoothness, brilliant glassy and ripped upper midrange grind and warm fuzzy low end, paired with utter clarity and punishing low end attack). This set up gives the most incredibly powerful, thick, and evil sounding mechanical grind when cranking the amp that I've ever heard. In fact, it convinced me within two seconds flat that I'm gonna yank the two V30's in the combo soon, and replace them with my other Fane and EV in the next week or so, and sell the V30's. These two speakers blend so **** well it's unreal. The EV is a little louder, but the Fane has this mid-grind that just slices through without ever sounding harsh like a V30 can at times.

I've had the opportunity to run the combo's two internal V30's with the last two cab setups, and it also sounded deliciously evil in both cases.

Finally, I've got two panels for the upper open bout of the halfback cab. One that makes it a fully closed back 2x12, and one that leaves the back semi-open, like a traditional widebody boogie 1x12, so I can get more air into my clean tones and mid-gain tones through the cab, and more chunk from my heavy tones, depending on what I want.

Cool - Has anyone else used a Dual Rectifier style amp with an EV/Fane speaker combo?

By the way, it doesn't appear anyplace stocks Fane Alnicos these days. Do you know of a place? And are they decent speakers at lower volumes as well, or do they need to be pushed?

LockStock said:
Cool - Has anyone else used a Dual Rectifier style amp with an EV/Fane speaker combo?

By the way, it doesn't appear anyplace stocks Fane Alnicos these days. Do you know of a place? And are they decent speakers at lower volumes as well, or do they need to be pushed?

They sound great at all volume levels to me, and as good as a tube amp can sound at low volume.

I had heard that they went out of business, but then I heard they might have started back up again. Anyway about it their website was still up the last I checked. Maybe start there, and see if you can locate a dealer.

I picked mine up used, and got a good deal on them to boot.

One word for you!!!!!!!!! Bogner, oh and one more for you.......... V-30

Hands down the Bogner OS 2x12 closed back w/ V30's along with V-30'a is possibly the most devistating partner for these heads.

There is a difference in tone between the bogern and the Mesa cabs. Had I not demo'd rhem next to each other, I would have never known.

Good luck in your tone search! :wink:

Fixxer6671 said:
One word for you!!!!!!!!! Bogner, oh and one more for you.......... V-30

Hands down the Bogner OS 2x12 closed back w/ V30's along with V-30'a is possibly the most devistating partner for these heads.

There is a difference in tone between the bogern and the Mesa cabs. Had I not demo'd rhem next to each other, I would have never known.

Good luck in your tone search! :wink:

I had the Bogner 4x12 with V30s and my T-Verb combo with V30s, and like I said above I'll take the Fane AXA12 and EV12L speakers over them any day.

I can't find anybody that sells the Fanes, and I've heard that they need to be pushed to sound good?

LockStock said:
I can't find anybody that sells the Fanes, and I've heard that they need to be pushed to sound good?

They sound sweet to me at all volumes, and don't have to be cranked to tinnitus inducing levels to push them nicely.

I guess they are no longer made, and I can't find an 8 ohm version. I did find one 16 ohm version, and I bought it for a future 1x12 or paired in a 2x12 with something else. Thanks for the heads up.

LockStock said:
I guess they are no longer made, and I can't find an 8 ohm version. I did find one 16 ohm version, and I bought it for a future 1x12 or paired in a 2x12 with something else. Thanks for the heads up.

Where'd you pick it up from?

I tried mine out in the 1x12 ported bottom portion of my halfback cab and it sounded bad ***.

And NP man, always glad to help out.

I'm running a recto cab with 4 WGS speakers - those Ebay speakers that were quite the rage a while back. It sounds very good, although a bit fizzy. I haven't broken in the speakers properly yet, so I'll reserve total judgement until I've played a couple loud gigs with them. But on high gain, that thing will certainly crunch!

blackmonday said:
I'm running a recto cab with 4 WGS speakers - those Ebay speakers that were quite the rage a while back. It sounds very good, although a bit fizzy. I haven't broken in the speakers properly yet, so I'll reserve total judgement until I've played a couple loud gigs with them. But on high gain, that thing will certainly crunch!

I've heard nothing but positive comments about the Warehouse Celestion clones so far.

TP Parter said:
blackmonday said:

I've heard nothing but positive comments about the Warehouse Celestion clones so far.

They're the best bang for the buck speaker imaginable, I got em for about 25 bucks each, or something close to that. They are well made, and sound good. I can't compare to a real V30 because my other cabs use some other type of Celestions. I don't think my 1960a cab contains V30s.

Latest posts

Back