Tremoverb vs. DC-10

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o-kay, Trem-o-Verb! Because I own one and its a keeper.

uh, ... not sure how "friendly user' / instant gratification is the DC10 but like Dual Rectifiers, Road Kings, ... etc .... you kinda have to get use to the tone control structure of these amps. 'Cause you could dial in a unsuitable tone and have a bad first hand experience with these amps.

Not sure if the DC10 falls in this catagory of un-friendly user / not instant gratification without tone tweaking.

Just my opinion. :)

+1 on the above. I have the TOV and love it. I've had it over 10 years. got it as combo and splurged on a head shell and 4x12 oversized cab so now I have a half-stack. I don't know much about the DC-10, but until the Road King came out, the TOV was the "Cadillac of amps" IMO. The tremolo is subtle, but very nice. If you want a crazy trem. get a pedal, but I like my amp's.

I've played both and would probably go with the Tremoverb. One thing though is that I actually had to think about it... The DC-10 is an awesome amplifier that is actually more versatile then the Tverb.

Nomad100 said:
I've played both and would probably go with the Tremoverb. One thing though is that I actually had to think about it... The DC-10 is an awesome amplifier that is actually more versatile then the Tverb.
I'm surprise.

Both have independent tone controls on each channel.

But let's see, Trem-o-Verb each channel (red and orange) of the T-Verb has switch mode for less or more gain.

6L6s / EL34 bias switch
rectifier switch either silicon or tube rectifier
channel cloning

Gosh when the MESA Boogie Staff decided to build the ultimate versatile tube amp in the Road King, the flag ship amp was the Trem-o-Verb.

Guitar Player Magazine editors were critiquing the Trem-o-Verb among 27 other tube amps, they were astonish the Trem-o-Verb was the most versatile among these 27 and claimed they cut a whole album just with the Orange channel alone.

Just support my fact why I think the Tremo-Verb is more versatile than the DC10.

+1 on the T-Verb. Got an early leather clad combo and LOVE IT except for the frekin' weight. Dang that sucker is a back breaker. I was thinking doing the head shell thing and getting another cab too. Does Mesa sell just the head shells or are they aftermarket ? Anybody know how much ?

for me it has to be a tremoverb,very sexy amp indeed.Im wasnt a fan of the dc10's,Im much more of a rectifier type guy.I personally think that it is more versitile than the dc.I have a few mesa's on the wish list they are as follows
Tremoverb
RKII
MKIV

So I definatly think the tremoverb cause the rectifier sound is ace,stuff it go all out and get a MKIIC+,heheehe,they are the ultimate in tone wrecking balls,and emm just BALLS in general

Rock on and Rock Hard

I've built several "Head Shells" for clients with tremoverb combos, and one of my personal amps is a tremoverb combo, but i run it with 4 cabs, 2 ThunderCAB 412 wide-dispersions (1 on 4ohm, the other at 8) (all 4 speakers are tilted out from the center) and 2 ThunderCAB MAX 212's, one at 4ohms and the other at 8.... most of the ones I built were with the combo's configuration (tubes hanging upside down), but did build one so it would be flipped-around which is essentially how the tremoverb head is configured. obviously being flipped upside down all the conrols would also be upside down and strange to operate... i will probably end up building myself a head shell... so if/when i do, i'll post some pics...

AA

Has anyone tried the BLUE BOTTLE JJ E34L ?

I was thinking that in my tremoverb combo to head conversion that it might be cool to have some sort of translucent or transparent face-plate...

I have used JJ 6L6GC's and JJ EL34's in the past on my laney amps and really wasn't overly excited about the mushy bottom end, but from what i understand the E34L is a completely different tube, structure etc. So, do any of you guys have any experience with the JJ E34L or the Groove Tubes "E34Ls" which is apparently the same tube with 15% extra headroom and other stuff etc etc...

i'd appreciate whatever info anyone has to offer....

AA

Having not played a DC-10 I won't comment on that amp. The tremoverb I do own is the best mesa I've played yet, barring the Roadster and Roadking II.

I owned a Mark IV and sold it once I got the Tremoverb. I love the modern thick recto sound, plus it cleans up nicely and will do lower gain blues and hard rock. The cleans are great too. These amps are killer amps and can be had pretty cheap used.

I have the head and run it through an open back cab with v30 and g12h30 speakers and it kills. The vintage mode can get you screaming liquid leads and a huge fat chunky distortion. It's really taken a big chunk out of my amp gas. The blues mode is sweet too and can go from clean to VH with just a guitar volume knob. I have a video and sound clip in the rigs section showing the range of tones on the blues mode with just the guitar volume being used.

How good are the cleans on the TOV? I have a pretty good idea of what the blues and modern modes can do, but what can the vintage mode do? Can it do a good crunchy rhythm sound, or maybe that liquidy type singing Santanaesqe sound?

nosajwp said:
How good are the cleans on the TOV? I have a pretty good idea of what the blues and modern modes can do, but what can the vintage mode do? Can it do a good crunchy rhythm sound, or maybe that liquidy type singing Santanaesqe sound?

I think the cleans are really good, I've heard people prefer the cleans through an open back cab and that's been my experience. I think they are just as good as the Mark IV I had. They are not exactly like fender cleans, but they are warm and round. Not quite as chimmey or bell-like as a fender twin. On par or better than any other High gain amp I've played.

With the vintage mode, mids bumped, gain around 1 o'clock and a humbucker in the neck, you can get some sweet fat singing lead tones, not quite as smooth as a Mark IV for santanaesque tones, but very good.

My Tremos:

MesasBogner-1.jpg

Tremoverb.jpg

Latest posts

Back