Tremoverb Ohm Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer44

Reaction score
Im looking into buying a Tremoverb combo, the guy who is selling it has run the cable into the 4 ohm input. Now, it has 2 16 ohm V30s wired in parallel, so its 8 ohms. To help me avoid buying a dud, will it hurt the amp if he has been running and 8 ohm load into a 4 ohm input? Thanks.

slayer44 said:
Im looking into buying a Tremoverb combo, the guy who is selling it has run the cable into the 4 ohm input. Now, it has 2 16 ohm V30s wired in parallel, so its 8 ohms. To help me avoid buying a dud, will it hurt the amp if he has been running and 8 ohm load into a 4 ohm input? Thanks.
Mostly, the output tubes will burn out faster. In lesser amps the Output Transformer can also be at risk, but for Mesa, the manual even states a single step mismatch (e.g. 4 -> 8, 8 -> 4, etc.) is okay and even encouraged for different tonal possibilities. So, as long as the amp works, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Actually running the mismatch the way you describe,an 8ohm load in the 4ohm output will cause the tubes to run a little cooler.If you run the mismatch the other way 4ohm spkr to the 8ohm out,the tubes will run hotter and wear out a little quicker.But neither mismatch should hurt the amp.

Back