Trem-o-verb Lovers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy_G

Reaction score
A lot of love out there for Tremoverbs.

Why? What channels and settings is your go-to drug for your tone addiction with these?

Also, how would you characterize the tone of the different channels and switch settings? For instance, is Red Modern a Rectifier tone? How good is it?

More interested in lower gain clean, blues and rock tones, myself, but interested in learning about why these amps are so loved.

I HATE IT.

When I first tried one at the store I HATE IT so bad I just had to fork up the money so another guitarist won't have to go though the misery to try it out.

I HATE IT just because the Red Channel Hi Gain Modern could do the chunka, chunka scouped mids really cool.
I HATE IT just because pleasant surprise the Red Channel Blues could sound very Classic Rock and Bluesy.
I HATE IT just because the Orange Channel Vintage Hi Gain could do the 80ish shred thang.
I HATE IT when my band was doing some Creedence Clearwater Revival covers I now have a built in tremolo like my Fender.

I HATE IT, just because it has a silicon diode rectifier / tube rectifier switch you could do punk by lowering the gain and switch to tube rectifier.

I just HATE THIS AMP because it notorious popular of its Hi Gain Dual Rectifier tone and I didn't realize its more than just only a Hi Gain amp but does much more.

Why did I even thought about try this amp out? I was not into Mark III, IV, fine amps by the way, just thought it was departure of Mark I, II amps which were hi-gain Fender in my opinion. But scouping the mids with the graphic with my Mark IIB and using an obnoxious borrowed fuzz stomp box it was time to look for a hi-gain amp. Kind of looking for Soldano - modified hi gain Marshall tone.

=> ... Dual Rectifier or a TremoVerb.

My buddy who just bought a modeling amp claimed it has a "Dual Rectifier" presets. So we did a side-by-side comparison. Make a long story short, he sold his modeling amp a month later, never again to explore modeling whatever.

I hate it this amp so bad that I won't sell it doing other guitarists a favor getting this amp off the market.

So I'm not endorse this amp. :twisted: :wink:

So all you other Tremoverb owners are just like me, hate this amp so bad you can't part with it.

Wow, that's a pretty tough review to follow!

The first thing in five years that has even remotely intrigued me is the new(ish) Mark V. Everything else is just "meh" to my ears.

I love how I haven't touched a distortion/overdrive pedal in years. No need to any more, my amp has everything covered.

I love how this amp can take every nuance from the pickups in my Custom Shop Strat and then ROAR when I plug in my Music Man Axis. Every guitar I own sounds great plugged into this amp.

I love how you can blend channels.

I love how the clean channel is like a f*cking crystal, it's so clear and crisp.

I love the Blues channel, it seems to strike the perfect balance between

I love the control and flexibility that the gain has, and how the EQ has such a wide usable range.

I love how a $50 Lava Cable speaker cable upgrade took everything up a little bit too.

The only complaint I might have is that it can't do a Vox bright tone, but I suspect that might be possible and I just don't know how.

I guess the 100W and 2x12 is also too powerful for the studio usage I use it for. That's one reason the Mark V is looking good to me - the low power modes.

ghunter said:
...The only complaint I might have is that it can't do a Vox bright tone, but I suspect that might be possible and I just don't know how.
Yeah, that tone, the AC30 "blizzard of nails" is bit elusive, so-called Class-A EL84s power section.

To simulate it sort of, set the rectifier to "tube", switch to "spongey", use the Red Channel, moderate or low on the 'Gain', 'Blues' Mode. Lower the bass, 'juggle' treble and mid where it's the upper midrange region, and set the presence high. Having Celestion Blues -uh, better yet Celestion Golds since they handle 50 watt each would greatly help.

I sure do like Vox AC30 power section amps (Blue Angel, Maverick, Matchless DC30, Bad Cat, one of Dr. Z models I think ...)

Here is my long 2 cents.

I bought a tremoverb combo twelve years ago, and then traded it for the head version 6 years ago. I don't plan on ever selling this amp. I plan on purchasing another for a backup/home amp. I have never had this amp let me down(either version) in twelve years of gigging. I do put new tubes in it once a year (I've went from liking my amp to loving once I started using E34L's eight years ago).

I love that this amp has been versatile enough tonewise as my musical tastes have evolved over the years. It does need to be played loud to sound great in my opinion. I can dial in great clean tones at low volumes, but the high gain sounds really need to be cranked to band volumes to sound right(not insanely loud, but louder than most people play in their home). The red channel is the modern dual rectifier gain sound, and it's why I originally bought the amp. That being said, I never use that sound in a band situation anymore, I'm usually going for a hard rock/vintage rock medium gain sound to my overdrive. I really prefer to clone the red channel to orange so I have two orange channels. I usually setup the tremo with the orange channel in vintage high gain as my lead tone, and the cloned orange channel in vintage high gain as my crunch rhythm channel then just back off the volume on this channel for a cleanish sound. In the interest of gaining three footswitchable channels, i've been running a boost in the fx loop lately so that I can have a full clean channel again. I also really like to run the clean mode with a bit of volume to get it a little dirty, it's just really sweet sounding with a single coil neck pickup.

The reverb is awesome on the orange channel of the tremo, but I've never really liked it on the red channel whether it's cloned or not. It just doesn't sound full/right to my ears. That's okay for me since I usually only want it on the orange channel.

I really prefer the head version of this amp. The combo was a back breaker weighing in around 100lbs, and I hated transporting it. The head is no lightweight, but it's much easier for me to carry and fit the head and seperate 2x12 in my car or up stairs. Band volumes would constantly rattle the combo, and add extra noise to the amp. Also it sounded a bit mushier then the head, and not in a good way, due to the open back v30's. I ran it for awhile into two extension cabs without the speakers in the combo itself which sounded great, but this was too much crap too haul around.
See obnoxious stack here:
smallstack.jpg

I run my head currently with just the old vertical mesa 2x12 cab in the picture. It has an EV-12l on the sealed bottom and a mesa black shadow celestion on open top. I really like how full this cab sounds. The clarity and sound in my opinion is far better for any other cab I have a/b'ed it against with the T-verb.

The bottom line is that the tremoverb is a great amp, and has a variety of useable tones waiting to be coaxed out of it.

Latest posts

Back