Trem-O-Verb Cleans vs Roadster Cleans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with both amps? I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how both amps compare under high gain but am interested as to how they compare in the cleans department. :) I'm looking specifally for input from people that either own both or have experienced both.

I don't think there will be too much argument about the Roadster having the better cleans. It has one of the best cleans of any Recto!!

The Roadster and Road King have clean channels based off the Lone Star Clean. As I'm told it's pretty much the same clean channel as the Lone Star Series. The Tremoverb does not have that type of clean channel available to it, but it does do a **** good clean in it's own right. It's just different and not as "clean" as the Roadster or Road King.

greatmutah said:
The Roadster and Road King have clean channels based off the Lone Star Clean. As I'm told it's pretty much the same clean channel as the Lone Star Series. The Tremoverb does not have that type of clean channel available to it, but it does do a **** good clean in it's own right. It's just different and not as "clean" as the Roadster or Road King.

The Roadster and Road King II cleans aren't exactly the same as the Lone Star clean, but great cleans nonetheless...

I think they only have the reverb from the Lonestar not the entire clean channel. I have a Roadster and it has great cleans but I don't think they are exactly the same as the Lonestar... based on my ears. :)

I agree about the cleans being different on the Roadster/Road King compared to the Lonestar. I've only owned the Roadster and found the cleans to be a bit more sterile sounding than the Lonestar's cleans. Sterile isn't a derogatory term, it just means that the Roadster cleans aren't as three dimensional as the LSCs.

Don't forget that cabs and speakers add a lot to the equation. Mesa implicitly stated that the Fat mode of channel 1 comes directly from the Lone Star, but a Lone Star uses an open-back cab with a C90, and most of you are using closed-back cabs with V30s.

ifailedshapes said:
Don't forget that cabs and speakers add a lot to the equation. Mesa implicitly stated that the Fat mode of channel 1 comes directly from the Lone Star, but a Lone Star uses an open-back cab with a C90, and most of you are using closed-back cabs with V30s.

What you say definitely has truth to it, but to my ears the two amps are still dynamically different. The feel is a little different too IMO.

I love how off track this thread is...

That being said, I've only played a Trem-O-Verb once, but I've played the Road King and Roadster multiple times, and I remember being really impressed with the clean channels on both of them. Rectifier distortion, on the other hand, is really fun to play with, but it's not really my sound.

ifailedshapes said:

Yea, that's true. When I got my Roadster I tried it through a 2x12 CB, 4x12 Stiletto and 4x12 Recto all with V30s. Sound got more impressive through each cab - got the 4x12 Recto. I have a ROV Combo with a C90 and a 1x12 C90 cab as well, both are 3/4 back cabs, sound great. Def different from the 4x12 sound...

I had a Roadster for a few years and currently have a Tremoverb. The Roadster definitely has better cleans....but not by much. Throw a 12AT7 in your phase inverter and your cleans get a lot cleaner.

Nitrobattery said:
I had a Roadster for a few years and currently have a Tremoverb. The Roadster definitely has better cleans....but not by much. Throw a 12AT7 in your phase inverter and your cleans get a lot cleaner.

Do you think this would have a similar affect in the roadster?

kick6 said:
Nitrobattery said:

Do you think this would have a similar affect in the roadster?

Definitely. I'm a huge advocate of a 12AT7 in the phase inverter of any high gain amp. Gets rid of the dreaded Recto fizz and tightens the amp up considerably. I've got a 12AT7 in V5 and V6 and love it. I'm sure they'd sound great in the Roadster also.

Nitrobattery said:
Definitely. I'm a huge advocate of a 12AT7 in the phase inverter of any high gain amp. Gets rid of the dreaded Recto fizz and tightens the amp up considerably. I've got a 12AT7 in V5 and V6 and love it. I'm sure they'd sound great in the Roadster also.

Hrrmmm.. This might be something I try.

I have a RKII and I just bought Tremoverb in January, and I just sold it a month ago. If you were to own both amplifiers, you are going to find a few things...

1) Roadster/RKII feels like you have two DR's in one box (right? 2 recto channels, 2 clean channels)

2) Roadster/RKII Tweed mode feels a lot like flipping the modern switch on the clean channel on the TV...absolutely beautiful!

3) Reverb is just as good on the Roadster/RKII...and you have 3-4 extra clean voicings!

4) Tremolo function on the TV isn't as deep as you'd like it to go (in comp. with a Fender/Vox tremolo)

5) TV's clean channel breaks up very fast after you turn it up past 11 O'Clock, Roadster/RKII compresses more and feels better...like you're working with a clean amp

6) Roadster/RKII let's you easily change the power options and they have great footswitches with very quiet switching!

7) Tremoverb's Vintage and Modern modes both sound great! Just turn off the effects look on the Roadster/RKII and you'll get the same tone, otherwise it's a little darker in it's voicing which makes it feel smoother.

8) The levels on the Roadster/RKII are much easier to equalize. The channel master's on the Tremoverb are hard to get at the same level.

9) Tremoverb can be found for $900 easily, but for twice the money the Roadster is twice the amp minus the very lacking tremolo function...plus it's more reliable...no maintenance for years to come!

RoadKinger483 said:
Yea, Im intersted to hear what it does to the gain tones as well....hopefully it doesn't give it less gain

It makes it considerably more focused. Gets rid of a lot of the fizz in the high end and the looseness of the low end. It doesn't get rid of any gain, just makes the gain more fluid and usable.

I just recently put a 12AT7 in V6.

I love what it did for the cleans.

Focused and more musical with what might be called cleaner sounding, I guess.

I do not have my manual with me and am wondering what V5 is and how the 12AT7 can work there.

I do not question it, just that I can't remember what V5 is and sort of remember some posts saying not to place a 12AT7 in any spot other than PI.

I am kinda new to rolling tubes so I am sure I am mistaken.

My experience with the gain is that it is definitely different using a 12AT7.

I can't really put my finger on it.

It is not less gain, but more focused. I have to really play around with the controls now, to dial in the tone, as it is so new to me.

I also placed a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1 so this plays into the whole tone and change in sound reference too and it is really nice I must admit.

But as far as the 12AT7...it is a hit in my Tremoverbs.

I'll second the above post, I too installed a 12AT7 in the phase inverter (V6 on my roadster) location. I like what it did for every channel, but like the changes in the clean the best. I don't quite know how to describe the tonal difference, but for the ~$20 the tube cost, its worth trying just to hear it. Next up will be a Tung-sol 12AX7 in V1.

Latest posts

Back