Transporting your Mesa tube amp.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I can think of is to make sure to let the tubes cool off for about 10 minutes after you shut down the amp before moving it.

I think the tube innards are more sensitive to vibration when they are hot.

I put my F-100 combo in the backseat of my car facing up. I've never had a problem.

Make sure to let the amp cool down after you play before you move it.

Just let it cool as others have said, I've transported my amp so many times.. Mesa's are made to take it.

Like others said as well, just let it cool down. A road case is never a bad investment, but that is up to you i believe. I have moved my Dual rec. many times with no troubles at all with no road case.

Sounds like you would be fine with a slip cover. Just keep the amp from moving around or lay it on its back.

Cool it before you move it...

I like to seatbelt my amps in where applicable.

I also like to let my head ride shotgun on the front seat of my truck so that I can put my hand over it and look down on it as if it were a small child. I get the same feeling inside when I let my daughter ride in the front seat and see her smiling up at me.

You shouldn't need an ATA case unless you go 4x4 your way over to your friends house through rocky terrain or dune jumping. A gig bag can be nice but is not necessary. If you are really anal about your gear spend the money on the ATA case and make your muscles bigger so noone will beat you up for your amp. Just use caution and be sure that you load your amp into your vehicle in such a way that it is relatively secure and has no chance of falling or sliding around. The back of a truck in the bed or in the back of a van can be hazardous to the health of your amp because of the leaf springs just bouncing things around.

Hey:

I got a case from Rock Hard Cases for my Triple Rec and its built tough.

If you can swing it get the case, you won't be disappointed especially if you're a gigging musician--

check it out -- mine is the same style and color (even got a dorky metal plate C/my name on it)

http://www.rockhardcases.com/

amphead.jpg

I almost forgot about those being driven around town without their own transportation. If you are receiving a ride from someone to your friend's house (ie. your mom), you can set it in your lap and hug it all the way there. :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist that one....

I have a 5 year old and just got a kick out of the idea. Afterall Barney loves you... :lol:

I hate that dinosaur :?

So do you think I should get the ATA case right now? Do you think its a good investment? I do plan on flying with the amp in 1 year because i will be moving, And I won't be putting it in my car by the way, so I won;t be able to put it in the front. It will have to go all the way back cause its my friend's suv.

sooo.. ATA case now or that gig bag thing?

A hard case is never a bad investment if you transport your amp around. I had a fitted hard case for my old HD147 and there were a couple of occasions on gigs when I am glad I had bought it.

I am still looking for a case for my Recto at the right price though :roll:

I don't know how trues this is or not, but I always use this advice I was given. Always set the combo down with the front panel facing upwards when transporting it. In that way, there is no weight on the cone. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

This is a good point. My focus was on the valves, and whether or not they would shake loose if the combo was placed on its front or back during transport. I have been sitting my RK seriesI combo upright in the back seat of my car (no, I don't have a booster seat-hehe). Being a new owner, it may just be 'new owner paranoia', but some facts on how heads/combos handle transit vibration would be handy to soothe my nerves. :D

Unless I missed it in this thread; make sure you brace it; meaning, get it tight to whatever solid object is in front of it (towards the front of the car). If you have to make a panic stop; it won't shift forward which could be similar to dropping it. When I put mine in the trunk; I put it forward as far as it'll go against the back of the back seat (which is the front of my trunk). Or, if you put it on the front seat; wedge it against the dash by moving the passenger seat on it's track. As mentioned before, grill up. There's no way someone could hold anything over 10-15 pounds in a panic stop, especially sideways.

N-50+3

barneyc4 said:
I recently bought a Mesa F-50 and I plan on taking to my friends apartment to practice. Is there a certain way I should place it in the car? Should I remove the tubes? Should I buy an ATA case? or will covering the amp with towels do? What about this amp gig bag: http://www.amazon.com/Gator-G212-Co...DVLWG/ref=sr_11_1/002-1111556-7442431?ie=UTF8

Give me some advice on transporting tube amps.
Back when i used to have to transport my amp in my car I always used the seat belt around it . I use road cases now and they are on the band truck . Unitec makes some good road cases .

Back