Transformers and rust

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnfx

Reaction score
What happens when power and output transformers start to rust on the outside? I've seen some amps with slightly rusted ones, and it looks like mine are starting to rust a little.

Eventually it eats through the laminations and starts to corrode the internal iron. Eventually it will short it self out. I clean the OT and PT with either denatured alcohol or naptha as they evaporate very quick. A tootbrush helps knock out the dirt and then I wipe them down with a towel.
You can also paint them with shellac to keep them moisture proof. I just use a high quality libricant to keep them from oxidizing. It's called HHS 2000 from Wurth Germany.

Thanks for the info!
I just got email back from Mesa and they said it's nothing to worry about since it does'nt harm the amp or tone. :D :?:

Please do not use any water near a transformer. Use Denatured Alcohol or Naptha as they evaporate very quickly. Water could seep into the laminates and rust it from the inside out.

Back