Transatlantic owners...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to chime in. I am selling my ED because I like the TA so much...and I love my ED.

I'm also selling the ED because I want to try a MKV (different thread)

I love the 15w top boost and the H1 setting on channel 2. I run the gain on channel 2 at about 12:30-1:00, treble at
11:00 and bass at 12:00 depending on volume setting (lower when turned up.)

This lil booger rocks and takes drive pedals very well. Notes seem to bloom and have overtones that I dont recall hearing in my ED. I am using it with either my Port City OS 1X12 V-30 or my Dr. Z ZBest 2X12 (one amazing cab!) with a v-30 and a g12-H30 in it. My PRS with 57/08's love this amp.

I cant see needing more volume...if you did, then a 4X12 would spread the sound nicely but my experience so far is that the 1x12 or 2x12 is ample. It is loud on 15w! The 5w setting on channel 2 really gets that chewy driven poweramp sound without killing your ears....but it is LOUD.

I do wish it had a loop just for some delay....I am confident someone is gonna figure out how to mod one of these for that reason.

I have an Egnater Rebel 30 that may just have to run in stereo with this and have the Eggy be the "wet" rig....hmmmm...sounds interesting.

Finnster,

Hot diggity dog I am tickled to see someone else with the exact
cabinet to run the TA-15 thru! I just can't get over how the Port
City OS 1X12 delivers such a huge,punchy,articulate tone and
the lows,mids and highs are so well balanced! But I have been doing
a little research and found a video of a guy with a PC 2X12 cabinet
(Not the oversized one) running 2 Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers
in it! :shock:

I couldn't believe the tones that this guy was getting with this cabinet
and the Eminence C-REX speakers in it! I called Daniel Klein (Owner of
Port City Amps) and he concurred that the C-Rex is an excellent speaker
for his cabinets! I think the Vintage 30 sounds great but even with Daniel's
cabinets eliminating the majority of the "FAMOUS HIGH-FREQUENCY SPIKE"
that Celestion V-30's are so well known for I still hear some of it in the OS
1X12 cabinet especially with single-coils! The C-Rex has none of these
tendencies and lots and lots of players are starting to use these in their
combo's and cabinets!

The TA-15 is an amp that is just really satisfying to play and listen to
with its 5 very different and distinct voicings split between two channels
and the 5/15/25 watt settings are the icing on the cake! My favorite setting
as I had stated in my earlier post is the Top-Boost on channel 1 in the 15
watt mode (The TP-Boost voicing with the 25 watt mode is ferocious try this
with a Humbucker based guitar)! :mrgreen: Their is really not a bad setting
or tone in this amp! You just have to be careful dialing in the treble and bass
when you run the higher gain channels or have higher gain settings on the
the British Clean and Tweed voicings!

You can snag an Eminence C-Rex for $79.99 at zZounds or $89 from Guitar
Center and Musician's Friends. I'm gonna get one and give it a whirl! I will
post my take on the C-Rex after playing it thru the PC-OS/1X12 cabinet!

Mac

Anyone tried a DC-2 Vs. TA shootout?

The DC-2 is one of my all time Mesa favs. If it can take down the DC-2, it's worth every penny.

macsrs4 said:
You can snag an Eminence C-Rex for $79.99 at zZounds or $89 from Guitar
Center and Musician's Friends. I'm gonna get one and give it a whirl! I will
post my take on the C-Rex after playing it thru the PC-OS/1X12 cabinet!

Mac

Let us know. Daniel is a super nice guy to talk to. I dislike V-30's due to the shrill or spike but I was convinced that these cabs sorta get rid of that. I think the cab does take away some of the things I don't like about V-30's....I did run my cab thru my stereo for about 20 hrs to help speed the break in process. I will be curious to hear when you think of the C-Rex, I have heard good things. I have an Egnater 2x12 with Scumbacks in it, havent gotten around to trying the TA thru it yet.

I bought the Port City specifically for the TA...I wish I had a 2X12 Port City to try...I hear they are amazing too.

Keep us in the loop!

Mac & Finnster,

Are you guys gigging with your TAs yet?? Would love to hear your experiences. This is the $64,000 question for me. Thanks!

Matt

mdortona said:
Mac & Finnster,

Are you guys gigging with your TAs yet?? Would love to hear your experiences. This is the $64,000 question for me. Thanks!

Matt

I am not. I havent gigged in over a year :(
Are you concerned with volume? or tone?
I would say after you play one you wont be worried if it will be loud enough for most situations.
I have a friend who just did an outdoor gig today with his. I will see what he has to say.

Matt,

I concur with Finnster on the volume question! Just in case you play with a really loud drummer
and bass player do you not have the capability of sticking a "mike" in front of your cabinet!
I think the TA-15 is definitely giggable with the 25 watt setting if you go with a 2X12 Cabinet
cause my Port City 1X12 OS Wave cabinet is one loud mother with the Transatlantic ripping
through it in the 25 watt mode as well as the 15 watt with the TOP-BOOST on channel 1 or
H1/H2 on channel 2!

It doesn't look like I will be giggin anytime soon either! Just don't have the time with me
running between Alabama and Miss. (where I work during the week) with family owned
company!

Mac

I've used the TA on 2 gig's so far, (7 piece oldies band, Hotel ballroom,
4 piece R&B, small club), as well as practice with 4 piece Classic rock outfit.
Either with 1x12 Express or 2x12 Roadster cab. Cab was mic'd to PA on both.
It's certainly loud enough for all these situations. In fact, I used it in lieu of MKV
for practice. Ch.1 on 25W, Top Boost, Ch.2 on H1, 5W. I mostly use PRS's
(Custom 24's w/HFS/Vint Bass or 57/08 pickups, 305 or 513) as well as VG Strat.
I don't do any recording, so I don't have clips. Sorry!
Not sure how it compares to Orange or Vox or other mini's, but it's extremely
versitile for it's size. I'm really impressed with the amp.

bchulse,

Thanks for sharing your gigging experiences with your Transatlantic!
I have no doubt that running channel 1 in the TOP-BOOST in the
25 watt setting will hang with the type bands you mentioned and
with miking your cabinets I know it has to sound even better!

Matt will really appreciate your post on answering his question about
gigging with the 'LiL Boogie"! :D

I am having a blast playing my at home for right now!

Mac

Thanks for the info bcluse; much appreciated! BTW, does your band mic everything thru the PA or just you? Thanks again!

Matt

I purchased the TA-15 amp on a whim based on some reviews. This is honest review, and I have absolutely no partial bias towards any manufacturer. I have several amps currently including a Vox Night Train which I compared the TA closely too.

Comparing the TA-15 and the Vox Night Train, both sound good for what they are, lunchbox amps to go to practice with and play small venues with. Comparing the two, Mesa has a much better distortion channel than the Vox, however, it's not great distortion IMO. It does not have the creamy full sounding distortion you would expect in a hand built tube amp...it is honestly pretty sterile. Also lacks the lows you expect from Mesa, but if you love the Marshall sound, high/mid high gain, than you may like this amp, much better than the Marshall Haze. With that said, it does not have much personality; sounds like a lot of typical mass produced amp distortion. Also, Mesa owners, this is not the typical full rounded distortion you are used to from Mesa...this amp completely lacks low-end on the distortion. Overall to sum up channel 2, you can hear it, but you can't feel it.

The clean channel is versitile and it comes close to an AC-15 sound. It certainly is versatile and offers a fair amount of clean headroom for live applications. No problem running a good overdrive pedal on top of it...would be pretty good for small gigs and practice.

My biggest complaint is this amp has a delay and loud "pop" when changing channels. Although it isn't as bad if you keep both channels 15 or 25 watts as suggest in the manual, it is still unacceptable for any amp to do this and renders the use of both channels within one song unusuable...very poor design on Mesa's part!!!

To sum it up; overall something is missing from the amps sound. The sound is very uninspiring to me. It lacks the true warmth of a AC-30, Dr. Z, Top Hat, Budda...that warm wha-wha vibrato sound you hear in a great tube amp that you can truly feel. For a hand-built American made amp, and the price they are asking over the lunchbox counterparts, save your money and get the Vox. The Vox cranks...don't let the 15 watts fool you. Both the Vox and Mesa are uninspiring for the most part, but for under $500 the Vox is a clear winner. With that said, get the Vox and save yourself $450 and invest in a good cabinet or a great overdrive pedal. Or, if you don't mind spending a few hundred more, get a Budda Superdrive 18. It will blow this Mesa clear out of the water with both channels. Maybe even an 18 watt Dr. Z can be had for around that price. With the TA priced at $900, Mesa is flirting with the Budda SD 18 territory and get's mopped compared to that amp...forget personal taste, you would be an idiot for thinking the Mesa comes close. If Mesa was smart, they would FIRST, fix that **** "pop" and delay problems with switiching channels. SECOND, they would drop the price to $699, and sell twice as many.

BTW...I call myself TheToneSnob for a reason. I have played literally 100s of tube amps and have owned 8 or 9 higher-end tube amps. If you are considering the TA, please test it out and keep in mind what I'm saying. Do not buy this just because it reads Mesa on it. IF YOU STILL WANT TO BUY ONE...I'll be selling mine which I've owned for 2 days now...anyone interested? :)

TheToneSnob said:
I purchased the TA-15 amp on a whim based on some reviews. This is honest review, and I have absolutely no partial bias towards any manufacturer. I have several amps currently including a Vox Night Train which I compared the TA closely too.

Comparing the TA-15 and the Vox Night Train, both sound good for what they are, lunchbox amps to go to practice with and play small venues with. Comparing the two, Mesa has a much better distortion channel than the Vox, however, it's not great distortion IMO. It does not have the creamy full sounding distortion you would expect in a hand built tube amp...it is honestly pretty sterile. Also lacks the lows you expect from Mesa, but if you love the Marshall sound, high/mid high gain, than you may like this amp, much better than the Marshall Haze. With that said, it does not have much personality; sounds like a lot of typical mass produced amp distortion. Also, Mesa owners, this is not the typical full rounded distortion you are used to from Mesa...this amp completely lacks low-end on the distortion. Overall to sum up channel 2, you can hear it, but you can't feel it.

The clean channel is versitile and it comes close to an AC-15 sound. It certainly is versatile and offers a fair amount of clean headroom for live applications. No problem running a good overdrive pedal on top of it...would be pretty good for small gigs and practice.

My biggest complaint is this amp has a delay and loud "pop" when changing channels. Although it isn't as bad if you keep both channels 15 or 25 watts as suggest in the manual, it is still unacceptable for any amp to do this and renders the use of both channels within one song unusuable...very poor design on Mesa's part!!!

To sum it up; overall something is missing from the amps sound. The sound is very uninspiring to me. It lacks the true warmth of a AC-30, Dr. Z, Top Hat, Budda...that warm wha-wha vibrato sound you hear in a great tube amp that you can truly feel. For a hand-built American made amp, and the price they are asking over the lunchbox counterparts, save your money and get the Vox. The Vox cranks...don't let the 15 watts fool you. Both the Vox and Mesa are uninspiring for the most part, but for under $500 the Vox is a clear winner. With that said, get the Vox and save yourself $450 and invest in a good cabinet or a great overdrive pedal. Or, if you don't mind spending a few hundred more, get a Budda Superdrive 18. It will blow this Mesa clear out of the water with both channels. Maybe even an 18 watt Dr. Z can be had for around that price. With the TA priced at $900, Mesa is flirting with the Budda SD 18 territory and get's mopped compared to that amp...forget personal taste, you would be an idiot for thinking the Mesa comes close. If Mesa was smart, they would FIRST, fix that **** "pop" and delay problems with switiching channels. SECOND, they would drop the price to $699, and sell twice as many.

BTW...I call myself TheToneSnob for a reason. I have played literally 100s of tube amps and have owned 8 or 9 higher-end tube amps. If you are considering the TA, please test it out and keep in mind what I'm saying. Do not buy this just because it reads Mesa on it. IF YOU STILL WANT TO BUY ONE...I'll be selling mine which I've owned for 2 days now...anyone interested? :)

What guitar were you using with this?

The bands I play in mic all instruments & drums, even for smaller
venues/clubs. Mostly an attempt to keep the drummers from killing
everyone with volume. Try to convince them the PA is doing the work,
keep the stage volume moderate (good luck w/that!)
For practice, though, just the amps and no mic's.
My other guitarist uses a Bogner Shiva head, Recto 2x12 cab and the
TA hangs just fine (at room volume, of course, not claiming the TA has
the headroom of the Bogner!)
Also, the cabinet makes a huge difference for bottom. My Roadster 2x12
has plenty of thump with the TA, but the Express 1x12 is thinner, as you
would expect. It's also a simple amp to dial in, with a large variety of tones.

Tonesnob,

I have owned 15 or 16 boutique amps over the span of 20 years! Several Z's,Carr,Budda,
Fender's,Swart's,multiple Boogie's, and most recently a Bogner Mojado! I can tell you that everyone
of those amps had "Glitches/Quirks" running anywhere from bright on the top-end to flabby on the
bass and frequently to little clean headroom,yet I paid anywhere from as low as a $1000 up to $2000
for these amps! I don't completely disagree with you on the lil TA15 being light on the bottom end
mainly on the H1 Channel on channel 2!

But the bottom end is better on H2 on channel 2 and my TA15 doesn't lack bass on any of the clean
channels and certainly not on the Top-Boost voicing on Channel! I do have 3 pieces of the
"TONE CHAIN" that I am sure are giving me a more pronounced and punchier bottom end on my TA15!

Those 3 pieces of gear are the Port City Oversized 1X12 cabinet which defies what you have probably
heard in a 1X12 closed back cabinet! Their are lots of great 1X12 closed back cabinets on the market
but if you haven't plugged into a Port City 1X12 cabinet you can't relate or appreciate what this cabinet
does to any amp as far as the quality and amount of lower mid-bass and bass it puts out! The other 2
"TONAL IIMPROVEMENTS" are my Kimber Cardas Cross-Link speaker cable that goes from the TA15 head
to the cabinet and the 3rd piece of my tone puzzle which I just purchased is the "Essential Sounds" power
chord! I would bet MONEY that you are anyone wouldn't feel that the TA15 has a loose or weak bottom end
after listening to my setup (TA15 and Port City 1X12 OS WAVE CABINET)!

The price point is a little high and I think $775-800 would have been an ideal price for it! The TA15 was
never intended to sound like a Mark IV,Mark 5,Rectifier's,Road King,Lonestar,Stiletto or the Electradyne which
all have the more traditional Mesa Boogie High-Gain with the exception of the Lonestar and Electradyne
which both have more Vintage Voiced gain in them!

The portability and versatility are the HIGH POINTS of the TA15! To me the magic in this amp is the
15 watt setting on the Top-Boost mode and the cleans on both channels need to be played with the
15 and 25 watt settings!

Mac

TheToneSnob said:
I'll be selling mine which I've owned for 2 days now...anyone interested? :)

Just my opinion..I would give it a bit more than 2 days. There are a lot of different tones to be found in this
lil' Booger(I like that better than lil' Boogie) :lol:

I find the bass to be very strong and tight....it seems as though I am dialing in less bass than I do on my other amps. I am using either a Port City OS 1x12 or a Dr. Z ZBest 2x12.

Notes bloom more on this amp than on my Electra-Dyne but that's just to my ears. I think 5-modes and two channels is pretty good value compared to lesser amps like the Orange TT or VOX offerings.

My PRS with 57/08 pickups just kills in this amp. I am not a high gain user but if I put a BB Preamp in front of this amp on H1 is gets in that modified JCM800 territory which sounds so thick.

I'm sure you wont have a problem selling yours....good luck on your quest.....but give the lil' Booger another chance :wink:

great points on the "LIL BOOGIE BOOGER" Finnster! With both of us playing the same amp through
the same exact cabinet (PC-OS Wave 1X12 Cabinet) is all the proof that I need to know that
my ears aren't playing tricks on the excellent bass response that I am getting from my TA15!
8)

Its' gotta be a weak and uninspiring amp cause 450 people have already bought one of
these "Lil Boogers"! :roll:

Mac

I know I've been wanting to try one of these little babies out. I've been getting into the small amps lately. I went from a wall of 100 watt full stacks to a line of small amps and cabs. It's kinda funny.

Guys, I'm not arguing that putting a great cab in the mix isn't 1/2 the battle, this will insure any decent amp sounds good but do a true comparison right next to other amps using the same cab. You honestly are telling me that you get the expression, dynamic sound you would with a Dr. Z or Buddha? I find that very hard to believe. I can't imagine the tone coming close to a Bogner Shiva...you mentioned volume which I believe, but as we all know playing is all about tone. Honestly, I played this last night next to my Buddha SD and Vox Night Train, all plugged into the same 1x12 and then the same 2x12 and you can not even compare the tone of the TA with the colorfull textures of the Budda SD. Like I said, the TA's cleans are pretty darn good (almost as good as Budda), but the 2nd channel is not anywhere near as good as you can find for $1,000, specifically Budda SD 18. With that said, the Vox Night Train cleans are very good also, so my conclusion is the 2nd channel is okay, not great, which leaves me with a pretty good sounding clean channel lunchbox amp that I already had in a Vox Night Train for almost 1/2 the price. Lastly, I can't believe both of you guys have not mentioned how irritating the "pop" sound and cut-over delay is when switching channels. Do you not find this to be a major issue when playing live? If you are playing rhythms, straight beats or 8th notes at 120bpm and switch channels you loose one of your chords with a obvious "pop" sound. All amps have their minor issues, my AC-30 is a tempermental woman, but this is simply a production issue with the TA. This isn't isolate as I've found out from many other users.

I've spent lots of money over the years and hours of time searching for a great amp, the swiss army knife if you would. The best I've found for under $1500 so far is the Budda SD 18. Honestly a great amp that you can get for $1200, and it simply burries the TA. With that said, I just ordered a Egnater Renegade, which I've heard great things about. I've tried the Rebel and felt the cleans were very muddy, not sparkly at all, but I hear the Renegade is a different story. For $1000, it probably is too good to be true, but none the less, my next amp shootout will include this.

Latest posts

Back