TransAtlantic™ TA-15

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy Jack

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I recently picked up the TA-15 and used it at a pub show where I live currently in Vancouver Canada.
I went through the gamut of lunch box amps until trying the TA-15. I ran it using the second channel at 15w H1 setting
with the volume at two and the master at around 6 with slightly more treble then bass. My pedal setup consists of a vox wah into a
boss compression pedal into a tube screamer into a fuzz face into a boss digital delay. The video clip I'm attaching is of Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker. I'm playing with my Fuzz on and using my guitar volume to clean up the sound when needed. My band consists of myself and my two brothers. We are called the Heavy Jack and you can download our first album for FREE at www.heavyjack.com Thought I would be a Fender Amp Champ for ever but am super glad I figured out how to "Boogie" (Mesa).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dDBZRCQyRg

Cheers,
Ben
www.heavyjack.com

Har Har KH Guitar Freak, But what you are seeing there is my I phone running the Robert Plant Package App.
So as to authentically lock into the Zeppelin Zen. However the choice of pants is a little off I chose classic Canadian Corduroy instead
painted on denim. :p

Nice playing btw. Oh, and with that Robert Plant iPhone application, does it involve getting kicked in the nuts??? :|

Thanks KH Guitar Freak. The best selling point of the Robert Plant Package App is that it does not involve getting kicked in the nuts.

Heavy Jack said:
Thought I would be a Fender Amp Champ for ever but am super glad I figured out how to "Boogie" (Mesa).
This amp looks great, but I wish they would have included an effects loop. I've got the Eventide TimeFactor and ModFactor and I'm wondering how all of that is going to sound when I'm using the amp for its overdrive tones. I have the Lonestar Special 1X12 combo right now and would love to stop lugging that around, but I have experimented running the TimeFactor in front of the amp instead of in the effects loop and it sounds way better in the loop. Thoughts, anyone?

Hey Axman53,

I have a Fender Evil Twin with an effects loop but have never used it. Usually I run a clean channel with a compression pedal to help tighten up the tone. For distortion I use a Fuzz with a little bit of delay. All in the front of the amp. I've wanted to get into using loops but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the gear and style. So I'm not sure I can offer any help. However if you have any info on how to get started with loops it would be much appreciated. As far as the TA-15 is concerned the lack of effects loop and re-verb are slight concessions. That is until I become a little Loopy then I'll shake my fist to the Heavens yelling "EFFECTS LOOP!!!!"

Hey guys!

Well, after having a pair of TA-15s (one was defective, the 2nd AOK) for close to a month and using it for several gigs, I found that the lack of reverb and an EFX loop were deal breakers for me, so back it is going to Sweetwater. I tried a Boss FRV Fender Reverb Pedal and an EH nano Holy Grail in front and it just didn't work well when any of the OD voices were used. Clean it was OK. Despite this, I think that it is a killer little amp with great sounding tones! Perfect for recording work. Live, it was fairly good, but I found myself switching channel voicings multiple times depending on the song that we were playing (ex. AC15 TB for Tom Petty stuff, Classic Mesa HG for Santana, etc.).

So it's back to the drawing board to find the "perfect gigging amp" (yeah right :roll: :lol: ).

Matt

mdortona said:
Well, after having a pair of TA-15s (one was defective, the 2nd AOK) for close to a month and using it for several gigs, I found that the lack of reverb and an EFX loop were deal breakers for me, so back it is going to Sweetwater. [...]So it's back to the drawing board to find the "perfect gigging amp" (yeah right :roll: :lol: ).Matt
Hey, Matt. Thanks for posting that. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid when I play out, so your findings were just what I was wanting to hear about. Meantime, I'm waiting for the Fender SuperSonic 22 combo that is just now getting into stores. This is a 22W version of the SuperSonic and reviews have been very good as far as being a great go-to amp for local gigging players. It's lighter than my Mesa Lonestar Special by 20 pounds, and it's got a really usable 2nd channel, with effects loop. Thanks again for posting.

I played one at NAMM, and to be honest, I wasn't a big fan of it. I did hear some great tones from a player, I guess it's all in the hands with that amp.

Good to see you got tone good tones out of it

Here is couple of more clips from the same show.

Six Blade Knife : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3D-re2v9aI

All Along The Watchtower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZhirM2KESU

Six Blade Knife is mostly clean tone with A boss compressor and All Along the watchtower is compressor and Tube Screamer with all the overdrive rolled off on the pedal setting on the Tube Screamer.

Hope you guys enjoy : )

axman53 said:
Heavy Jack said:
Thought I would be a Fender Amp Champ for ever but am super glad I figured out how to "Boogie" (Mesa).
This amp looks great, but I wish they would have included an effects loop. I've got the Eventide TimeFactor and ModFactor and I'm wondering how all of that is going to sound when I'm using the amp for its overdrive tones. I have the Lonestar Special 1X12 combo right now and would love to stop lugging that around, but I have experimented running the TimeFactor in front of the amp instead of in the effects loop and it sounds way better in the loop. Thoughts, anyone?

Delays will sound fine in front of the amp but you just got to spend time tweaking it a bit more. But they work just fine! Just put in the time! :mrgreen:

mdortona said:
Hey guys!

Well, after having a pair of TA-15s (one was defective, the 2nd AOK) for close to a month and using it for several gigs, I found that the lack of reverb and an EFX loop were deal breakers for me, so back it is going to Sweetwater. I tried a Boss FRV Fender Reverb Pedal and an EH nano Holy Grail in front and it just didn't work well when any of the OD voices were used. Clean it was OK. Despite this, I think that it is a killer little amp with great sounding tones! Perfect for recording work. Live, it was fairly good, but I found myself switching channel voicings multiple times depending on the song that we were playing (ex. AC15 TB for Tom Petty stuff, Classic Mesa HG for Santana, etc.).

So it's back to the drawing board to find the "perfect gigging amp" (yeah right :roll: :lol: ).

Matt

Perfect gigging amp? That would be the Electra Dyne!!!

(ow my back :( :lol: )

Definitely a hernia maker in the same league with the hallowed Twin Reverb (I messed up my shoulder two weeks ago lifting one of them too!) :lol:

Matt

I have an Evil Twin the one with the red knobs. The previous owner made it look like a silver face. It is still my favorite Amp I own. : )

God bless your back bro! :lol: Actually, I'm toying with the idea of buying a head shell from Mojo tone, to lessen the hernia potential.

Matt

axman53 said:
mdortona said:
Well, after having a pair of TA-15s (one was defective, the 2nd AOK) for close to a month and using it for several gigs, I found that the lack of reverb and an EFX loop were deal breakers for me, so back it is going to Sweetwater. [...]So it's back to the drawing board to find the "perfect gigging amp" (yeah right :roll: :lol: ).Matt
Hey, Matt. Thanks for posting that. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid when I play out, so your findings were just what I was wanting to hear about. Meantime, I'm waiting for the Fender SuperSonic 22 combo that is just now getting into stores. This is a 22W version of the SuperSonic and reviews have been very good as far as being a great go-to amp for local gigging players. It's lighter than my Mesa Lonestar Special by 20 pounds, and it's got a really usable 2nd channel, with effects loop. Thanks again for posting.

This is the same reason I didn't buy one. I remember receiving the email about the TA-15 when it was first announced. I was so excited I was going straight home to sell my Egnater Rebel to buy the TA-15. That is, until I read there's no effects loop or reverb. :(

I'm a Mesa fan and I own an LSC, but I need an effects loop for my style of playing.

Kiteboarder said:
axman53 said:
mdortona said:

This is the same reason I didn't buy one. I remember receiving the email about the TA-15 when it was first announced. I was so excited I was going straight home to sell my Egnater Rebel to buy the TA-15. That is, until I read there's no effects loop or reverb. :(

I'm a Mesa fan and I own an LSC, but I need an effects loop for my style of playing.

My main amp is an LSC and I thought I'd miss the loop on the TA15 but actually I don't and the TA has become my back-saving go to amp for rehearsals and probably small gigs. If i want to use post overdrive effects us use an OCD up front and it sounds absolutely killer (better that the drive channel on the LSC IMHO).

Latest posts

Back