Trading in my Mark III Blue Stripe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsky

Reaction score
I have a Mark III Blue stripe, 60/100 Simulclass with the 200 watt ElectroVoice speaker, and I'm thinking about trading it in for another amp. I like the way this amp sounds, but honestly, I'm getting older and this thing is really getting too heavy for me to move around. Also, when I play with my friends, I really can't turn this thing up loud enough to push it into that territory where it sounds great.

I play a Les Paul 1960's Custom (a little brighter than a Standard), and I'm thinking about getting either a LSS or an LSC. I already have a Mesa 3/4 cabinet with a single 12" 90 Watt speaker (which rounded out the Mark III nicely with some boom, since it's pretty trebly on it's own) so I'm thinking about just getting a head, especially since it'll be lighter than my Mark III. I'm mostly headed in a Blues direction these days, and I have a T-Rex pedal for extra distortion when necessary.

Any words of advice on whether I'd be happy with either the LSS or LSC. While I *could* keep the Mark III, I'm really trying to keep things pared down in my life, so that means 1 high quality amp. I've read some people say that they like single coils with the LSC, and since my 3/4 cab is already high-lighting the lows and mids, I'm thinking about the LSS head. I'm also at a disadvantage as there's no shop nearby with the amps to try out.

Thanks everyone for some advice, as anything at this point would be helpful.
--=Chuck

Do you just send it into Petaluma and they'll do it for you? How much did that cost you?

One of the things that makes the Lonestars sound like a cool replacement, especially the LSS, is that I can push the tubes harder at a lower volume. Am I dreaming that I can push any tube amp at a "reasonable" volume, during basement practice?

starsky said:
One of the things that makes the Lonestars sound like a cool replacement, especially the LSS, is that I can push the tubes harder at a lower volume. Am I dreaming that I can push any tube amp at a "reasonable" volume, during basement practice?

Check this out - http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=49908

Back