• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Trade tubes anyone???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveda

Reaction score
Hi, I was given a new set of tubes with my Dual Rectifier 3 channel head that I bought new from GC, and I was wondering if anyone was intersted in a trade for some different tubes? I am interested in trying the JJ tubes. They seem pretty cool???/

Any takers???

I would say keep the tubes as spares.

There is no telling what kind of damage could have been doen to the tubes at GC. Too many kids and tube amp novices go in there and think that they can turn an amp on without it being in standby or even having a speaker load on the amp or they try to connect an improper ohm load to the amp.

I would say to use the tubes would be like russian roulette.

In fact I would say that you should use the new set and not really even consider the set that was in the amp as they may be unpredictable.

I have actually bought tubes at guitar center that were sold as new only to find out that they were used. I usually give a tube a once over inspection prior to installing them and even run them in my tube tester just to be safe. I have found tubes that had obvious pin wear and that tested nowhere near new. I am assuming that they were either returned as new and replaced in stock or maybe swapped and mistakenly returned to stock. GC employees are not always the pick of the litter either and they often have no clue about the tubes that they are trying to sell you either.

Again I would use the "new tubes" and save the old ones as emergency spares.

Thanks, I am just going to keep them and order some JJ's to try them out. The tubes in the head should be new. I got a the head new in the box. But I do see your point on the tubes they gave me.

Thanks.

Back