Touching tubes when changing them

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingee

Reaction score
Hi guys - when changing tubes are they like bulbs, should I not touch the glass? I mean, not because they're hot, but to stop getting residue on my fingers cause hot spots on the glass when they get warm and wear them out?!?
I know it can't hurt, but wondered if it's a concern or not.
Thanks!

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I always use a lint-free cloth to grab the tubes. In addition to preventing my sweaty hand from leaving marks on the glass, it can also offer some sort of protection in case the tubes are still a bit on the warm side.

Even the Surgeon General officially approved of touching one's tube, back in '94. So have at it, already - in a world where there are very few safe sects anymore, this free association is one you can join with nary a fear.

- Thom

rabies said:
I've heard the oils on your fingers can cause the glass to break when hot. Never seen that happen.
You've never seen it happen simply because it won't.

The finger oil issue is real on halogen replacement bulbs, but you need not apply that precaution to a guitar amp's vacuum tubes. The only reason to grasp power tubes from their base is because that is the stronger part of the tube, and it keeps a ham-fisted oaf from snapping the glass.

- Thom

I have never had problems toughing the glass except when hot. The heat tends to hurt your fingers. Tubes are pretty rugged as far as skin oils. Halogen bulbs as stated above would be a bad idea. Think of light bulbs. Do you use any caution changing a normal light bulb? Certainly, just not to break it . Otherwise, you are handling the glass because it is convenient and safer than handling it by the threaded conductor at the base while installing it.

Probably depends on how much grease you have on your fingers from that meatball sub you had for lunch!

Latest posts

Back