Tone I'm looking for.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwhallon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need your advise on a Boogie purchase I am planning to make.

Cabinet is a Marshall 1960 slant top 16ohm greenback celestions.

I need to be able to reproduce some very specific "tones". I am aware that how I play the guitar is a big part of it.

Tone 1: Super crystal clear "California" clean sound. Lots of headroom.

Tone 2: Clean to dirty with the volume knob. Stevie Ray Vaughn kind of
sound. Maybe a-little B.B. King tone as well.

Tone 3. Warren Haynes, Dickey Betts rhythm to lead sound. Good for slide too. I am a terrible slide player. :(

Tone 4: Classic to Hard rock crunch.

I am thinking the Roadster is the answer. I have heard a few, but not many, sound files of this amp and I think it might work.

None of the Boogie dealers here stock them so I'm not able to test drive it :evil:

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

lonestar will get you numbers 1-3. add a pedal and you'll get #4. unless by hard rock you mean modern heavy stuff, then go after a roadster or a road king2. i'd get the rk2 if you have money because of the progressive linkage.

Roadster will work for all of that, might not be enough clean headroom though. Depends on your guitar.

Lonestar Classic would be worth looking into also.

Thanks Elpelotero and Talus,

I'll check out the Lonestar. I think Guitar Center here has on on the floor.

About the Roadster and guitar combo. I am using a Les Paul.

Bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Middle pickup is a PAF wired out of phase with the bridge. Sounds like a BIG Stratocaster in the middle position.

Neck pickup is a PAF. Nice fat and clean.

I assumed :?: that the roadster with 6L6 tubes would be pretty clean on channel 1. That's the problem. Before spending 2K I really need to play it and no-one around here has one.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

the super distortion is THE muddiest pick-up I have ever used. I have mine in a Ibanez through body that I used to play. I have a dual recto which is basically the roadster but 3 channels instead of 4 and not as nice a cleans. Muddy muddy muddy. I'm sure that with some creative EQ'ing it might be possible to dial it out, but I felt for me it was better to start with a great sounding P.U. and enhance a good sound instead of dialing out a bad one. So keep that in mind when looking at any of the recto oriented amps. That said, the roadster does crush for versitility and quality of sound all round. And I know that anyone here will recommend it as well as I would.
Good luck in yer search.
Hum

Hello Humbility,

Yea, I put the Dimarzio in years ago when I played hard rock.

The original PAF is really weak. I almost think there is a problem with it. I put it back in recently and when I played it I said to myself...."now I know why I took it out".

How does the Dimarzio PAF compare to the Gibson PAF and the PAF plus?

Thanks,

Paul
Searching for tone.

I know it's not a Mesa, but it tones you're looking for sound like a Soldano SLO to me. If you're patient, you could get a used one for about $2,000. I'd check one out if I were you. If you're dead set on Mesa and will have nothing else, the Roadster would probably work for you. Or you could always go the Lonestar route along with an overdrive or distortion pedal depending on just how much gain you want.

roadster cleans=lonestar cleans....so try a lonestar at guitar center.

then, roadster gain channels=road king 2 gain channels....or, you can try a regular rectifier head. these will be very close and give you the idea.

Latest posts

Back