Time for a change?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgang

Reaction score
Hi All, it's my first post after a lot of lurking so...be gentle if I say anything too stupid!
I was inducted into the Mesa family about a month ago with the purchase of a solo 50 single recto. I was convinced I wanted a Cornford but after trying them out in the shop, the versatility of the 2 channels and voicings won over the cornford's single channel/cascading gain option - the Mesa also sounded better.
Now, I'm in a bit of a dilemma - I play mostly rockish tunes in my band, but we have quite a varied sound (imagine Steely Dan with balls!) and my soloing style is kind of bluesish but, I'd like to think a little different :oops: I'm wondering if the solo 50 is the best amp for the job or should I swap it (the store has offered me this option) for something else? I'm thinking lonestar classic or mark IV, both of the head variety. I currently play a strat or lp deluxe through some pedals and the amp runs into a marshall 4x12 with G12T-75's.

Apologies for the massive post - any help is appreciated.

Hi,

I've recently joined the 'family' with a Lone Star Classic 212 only 2 weeks ago and play strats myself. The band I am in plays a mix of rock, blues and funkier tracks, but I am finding the LSC really versatile across the board with great tone (got 3 compliments from different guitarists at the first gig I used it!).

My own lead style is based in blues with Clapton as a main influence, but so many others to including the more modern players, such as Satriani. I'm a big believer in economy, rather than tapping your way through everything. With the LSCs great tone and sustain, it was a perfect match.

Its a great amp and being able to run in 10/50/100 watt modes means there is plenty of headroom without impacting tone for those smaller venues.

D

The Mark IV is going to cover a lot more ground than the LSC but both are fantastic amps. The Mark IV is generally considered the best example of 'boogie lead' around today in production.

The Solo 50 Rec is not exactly the best for lead playing, it's a great rhythm amp however.

I suggest you play them both and see which does it for you the most, the Recto sound and the Mark IV sound are quite different.

Both the LSC and the Mark IV will give you 10000000x better clean tones than your Solo 50.

Welcome to the board btw, your post is anything but massive and questions are never looked down upon here!

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've just discovered that my local sound control have a lone star 2x12 in stock so methinks I'll stop by tomorrow and try it out. Not a head I know but I'm sure it'll give me a good idea....as far as the markIV goes it's a bit more problematic. Trying to find a store that stocks one to try out is pretty difficult up in Scotland - are there any examples of it's 'trademark tone' that I can check out? Again, I know it's not ideal but just to get an idea......or should I just go listen to some John Petrucci? :wink:

Welcome to the Board :D

Like Platypus said, both LSC and Mark IV will give you better cleans. The Mark IV is more versatile and will give you way more gain on tap should you ever need it. The GEQ on the Mark IV alone is a godsend. I much prefer my Mark IV over the LSC.

Well, the deal is done! Tried out the LSC 2x12 and express 5:50 1x12 yesterday and was just smitten with the lonestar. It does the clean inot clean breakup so well with the most amazing, lush, sparkling, 3d, responsive channel 1 I've ever played - and channel 2's not so bad either! I had to have it! I think it's going to fit my needs perfectly :D
Thanks for all the input guys - tis appreciated.

Latest posts

Back