This might help someone out there:

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah

Reaction score
Hello everyone-- :D
I wanted to drop a line in here and let everyone know what I was able to figure out based off of a few suggestions and some more knob twisitng. Someone said on another thread that the bass knob will affect all frequencies and all of the strings(thank you it rings true!)(even the higher strings)(I hadnt thought of this before being almost a backward thought of what the manual says). This gave me my answer for chunk on the up-strum. Now, in the manual, Mesa says that their knobs are in series from treble-mid-bass, meaning that based on the position of the knob, the treble could lower the potential output of the mid and bass frequencies and the mid to Bass, etc..(thats the truth..I mean they made the amp..they should know!!). With that being said, I would assume(and did assume) that when eq'ing my amp I should irst set the treble to where I want it, and then the mids....bass etc... What I found as a good practice (at least this week :lol: )was to actually start with the bass and set it to where I want it first, then Mid...Treble... (START WITH THE PRESENCE ALL OF THE WAY UP!!)What will happen is I can get the bass as thick as I want and then balance out the heaviness in the bottom end with the treble and get my cut from the Mids. At this point I get a decent sound but really not the tight chunk that Im looking for. This is where the Presence comes in nice!! I can sit there and chunk while I turn the presence knob untill I get the chest pounding chunky punch that Im looking for. I realized that the tone controls for the most part are there so you can put in just enough of the frequencies to hear yourself and keeping things balanced and level. At this point I think of the presence as more of a contour knob. When turning the presence down the bass frequency presence is heightened and a looser feel is achieved. As I bring the knob up things start to tighten up and the bottom end is reduced, however, there is a spot in the middle where the bottom end is tightened to the right spot to give you that chunk that your looking for. My expiriences setting these knobs also have been that settings that sound great in your bedroom, dont necessarily sound the best though a PA. By the time I had everything dimed in my room on Tuesday and then played live last night, I realized thay the bottom end coming through the PA was so dominant in my mix that I couldnt hardly hear a single note. I realized that the low frequencies in my smaller room couldnt develop fully and because I couldnt hear them as well in there I kept cranking them up. I ended up backing them down live from wide open to (im still fluctuating) between 12 and 1. I have the mids set about 11:30 and the treble is set to between 11 and 1. My presence I have rocked between 11:30 and 2 depending on the other setting finalizations. Interesting information though!! :wink: Thanks for everyones' help and suggestions. I hope this helps someone out there!! :D

Those seem to be standard settings for a recto....for me, they seem to harsh....the treble overwhelms, especially if you stand infront of the cab.....very buzzy.

Those were the exact settings I had when I first found a good tone! It is good, but you can tweak it to still be huge without the harshness! :D

Great post Micah!

I'm on other boards and others flame MESA Boogies. And why is that? 'Cause they don't know how to set the MESA Boogie amp's tone controls. They have some biazzare setting. MESA's are not the most user friendly amps. Its not the most instant gratification amp if not set right. But once its set right, there's nothing like a Boogie 8)

Someone should take this complete thread over to The Marshall Amp Forum...

It took me over a month to finally begin to figure out how to set my Mark IV. I still tweak here and htere being explorative but I have a good idea of where I need to be and can hear my way back if necessary.

In contrast, my JMP took all of about 15 minutes. This does not necessarily make it a better amp but just easier to find settings on. The Mark IV buries the JMP for modern sounds but the JMP is hard to beat for classic tone.

RR said:
Great post Micah!

I'm on other boards and others flame MESA Boogies. And why is that? 'Cause they don't know how to set the MESA Boogie amp's tone controls. They have some biazzare setting. MESA's are not the most user friendly amps. Its not the most instant gratification amp if not set right. But once its set right, there's nothing like a Boogie 8)

Amen Bro!!

-AJH

Funny, I was disagreeing with your approach to achieving tones from your Mesa, but you ended up with some pretty common settings!

one of the reasons i never bought a recto back when i was into metal is because i could never get a tight 'crunch' sound out of one. it always sounded too flubby and bassy. good for deftones , bad for thrash .. but then i was playing one at guitar center a few weeks ago that had been set up by one of the sales guys and there was that tone ... not that i want to buy a recto now or achieve that sound at this point, but it just goes to show you that boogies are definitely not instant gratification amps! but they are some of the best :)

RR said:
Great post Micah!

This is so true... there is an art to the configuration of Mesa/Boogie amps, and the interrelationship between tone controls. If you let the average "Joe Guitar Guy" at the local music store just dial some settings on the amp he'll get really average stuff, just like the high-school kid (no offense meant) who walks in and turns the Gain to full to see what kind of screaming metal tone he can get.

There's a reason why these are among the finest PRO amps... but with great power comes great responsibility... like reading the very detailed manuals over and over and over :).

Latest posts

Back