This amp needs to breath!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Have the house to myself for a little bit and have been letting loose.

Pulled out my 20+ year old ESP and have been doing the 80's metal thing today.

I hadn't cranked it in a few weeks and had forgotten what a difference really pushing that speaker made. At low volumes I really crank the treble because it can sound dark. But man when I open it up and really push the speaker, this beat freaking roars! T times I'm just hitting open G and open D chords and just letting it ring out. Sounds so killer.

I've been jamming on 90 watts with the Master at 8:30. To the non ED owners, that is drummer level with this amp. It gets loud quick!

With the extra volume it really brightens the amp up so I can back off the treble. It also tightens it up if you can believe it. I noticed at lower volumes it muddies up just a tad with the gain above 3:00, but cranked I can turn the gain all the way up and it sounds killer and articulate. I've got it set to 5:00 and the gain is huge!

I think the volume may have more to do with the 90 watt speaker then the tubes because the attenuator won't make this difference. Just think the 90 watt speaker needs to be pushed a little harder then say a 60 or 30 watt would.

I'm very interested in this amp and only hear good things about this, how it sound at very low volume ? I live in an appartment but want an amp can crack up with band situation

metallica86 said:
I'm very interested in this amp and only hear good things about this, how it sound at very low volume ? I live in an appartment but want an amp can crack up with band situation

You can get a very good tone at low volume.

I did the clip in this thread with the volume way down. My daughter was sleeping a couple rooms down.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=41130

The thing about low volume is the reverb sounds bad on the gain channels at low volume, still sounds great on the clean.

And it is very loud when you want it to be.

Of course it will sound better louder, but as I mentioned above, I think this is more due to the fact that it has the 90 watt speaker. When I use a hotplate, there is no big difference in tone till I start pushing the speakers, which you can do without the hotplate as well.

One word of warning though. This amp is heavy as hell. Lugging it up and down stairs on a reagular basis could be brutal.

One word of warning though. This amp is heavy as hell. Lugging it up and down stairs on a reagular basis could be brutal

Yeah- the "DAD-Cave" is in the basement at my house- that means 13 stairs up and down each time I play out (3X per month...) starting to exercise- really

Laskyman said:
One word of warning though. This amp is heavy as hell. Lugging it up and down stairs on a reagular basis could be brutal

Yeah- the "DAD-Cave" is in the basement at my house- that means 13 stairs up and down each time I play out (3X per month...) starting to exercise- really

And you have a 2x12 combo.

****!

I agree completely Primal! I recently cranked up my ED to a whopping 11 0'clock master volume level with the channel volume set at 3 o'clock and the "highs" do become much more pronounced in all 3 modes (regardless of 45W or 90W power selection).

I did experiment with adjusting treble, mid, bass and presence controls while at this extreme volume. I especially liked the sounds I was getting by reducing the treble and presence somewhat, while increasing the mids and bass a bit more. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Normally, I am not "allowed" to play so loudly at home!

I think it is safe to say.....my speaker is officially "broken in" and fortunately my windows survived! ;-)

Latest posts

Back