Thinking on selling my Mark IV and getting a Studio+ 50/50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaivxx

Reaction score
I have been a long time Boogie player. In the last 20 years i have had a few Mark IVs, Mark IIIs and a bunch of rack stuff including the Quad, Studio and Triaxis, along with the 50/50. 2:90 and 20/20.

i loved all of these pieces at one time or another.

Lately I have been wanting to run stereo and use some FX for cool, wierd guitar stuff live. I am spoiled on all the digital technology I have on my PC (Amplitube 2, GR2, tons of plugins, etc...) and would like to have some of that versatility live. however, I have used modelers live and the basic tones never compare.

I am hunting Either a Studio or Quad on eBay now and probably getting a 50/50 or, if the timing and cash are right, a 2:90.

My original idea was to keep the Mark IV, run the slave out to a stereo power amp such as the 50/50, send my FX to the stereo power amp and run the Mark IV power section dry. Then I would just buy 2 Theile 1x12 cabs to run the 50/50 through. i still really like this idea, but there is a considerable bit of money involved. Not only would I have to buy all the gear i just named (minus the Mark Iv which I have already), but i would need a custom MIDI switcher for the amp, the FX unit, etc.....

Sorry so long, here is the point:

I never A/Bd the Studio Pre and 50/50 with a Mark IV. I do not use most of the options that the Mark IV offers (I have decided that I do not like Triode, class A options and it would suite me fine if they were removed from my amplifier) and i find that rather than use all 3 channels I am good with a dirty channel and a dirtier channel. i am supposing that the GMajor could handle channel changing on the Studio pre.

Big Question: Those times that I do not wish to run stereo, is it safe to run the 50/50 with no speaker on one side if A)nothing is plugged into the input of that side and B, the volume is completely off on the unused side?

The answer to that and any other thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated. I do see that eventually, I am going to end up with a Triaxis and 2:90, but at this point the cost, even used, is quite prohibitive....

One other question, can the studio pre and 50/50 get just a s "big" and robust a sound as the Mark IV? I always liked the combination before but like i said I have never done a side by side comparison.

That's kinda funny because lately I've been thinking of selling my Studio and Quad and putting the $$ towards a Mark IV :D

Yeah, that would be safe to use the poweramp in the way you describe. The only thing I think you would be missing would be the simulclass mojo from using a different poweramp.

4nkam said:
That's kinda funny because lately I've been thinking of selling my Studio and Quad and putting the $$ towards a Mark IV :D

So, uh, wanna trade? :D

I own a studio pre and i'm totally in love with it, i think i will never sell it.
But you should ask Nick_cor, he had both markIV and studio pre+50/50 and it seems to me he loved the markIV more, or however he had some problems in finding some great tones out of the studio pre+50/50.

Back