Thinking of trading my Road King Combo for the head version

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srakow

Reaction score
I just picked up a new rectifier cab 4x12 and was planning on running it from my Road King Combo. I have the opportunity to trade my combo for a Road King head version. Other than space savings, any pros or cons?

Ya, the combo's heavy. The head won't be as bad, and 4x12's are'nt too bad to lug around. I think I would of added a 2x12 cab along with the combo though. Spread those apart, and sit between em! :wink:

I play a tremoverb combo with 2x12 vintage 30's and a recto cab 4x12 vintage 30's i was lucky enough that i coudl match the speakers and im really really happy with the sound.

Pro, (not sure about the road king combo if it has 1 or 2 speakers) but the extra speakers the more sound.

Con, The power vavlue in a combo are not that far away from the speakers and espessially if yoru in a drop tuning the vibrations from the sound in the speakers can damage the power vavles over time. So a head is better in that way.

All in all you shoudl just try playing your combo through the cab and see how u like it, once again not sure about the Road King but on the tremo you can unplug the speakers so basiclly you can just unplug your combo speaker and jsut use the quad, and still have the other two for smaller gigs.

It comes down to prefrence i hope that helps.

Michael

Try it out as is. You may like the extra cut you get from the open back 2X12 and the thump from the 4X12. I never mind running a 1X12 combo with the speaker connected and then out to a 4X12. The open back combo lets a little extra bite enter the mix.

Back