Thinking of "downgrading" my Boogie....... again!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
Well, I played last night and I realized that I only use my Roadster for 2 different tones that I could easily get by with a Rectoverb.

I hate to say that, because the Roadster is my "dream" amp, or was my dream amp a year ago... but here's my situation.

I play 60% clean, 30% semi dirty and 10% (or less) heavy distortion. I use an A/B setup with my Vox AC30cc, and last night I paid attention to what I used. I used the AC30 about 75% of the time, but the AC30 lacks greatly in the heavy tone that I do need throughout the nigh. I've got a deal brewing that will kind of swap my amps around. I'll be swapping my Roadster for a Dr. Z Stangray 2x12 combo and then selling my AC30cc and getting a Rectoverb 1x12 combo and use those in the A/B setup.

Does this sound like a bad idea?? I know what the Rectoverb can do, I've had one and really liked it and I don't need it for the cleans but I can still use the clean channel for band practice.

Am I a traitor........ or a trader??

I am suspecting the closed back sound of the Roadster combo didn't deliver the cleans you may need (or at least in your head)-- given the genre you're playng.

A closed back cab is not ideal for clean sounds. When I audtioned the Roadster, I found it sounded so much different from the RK II

Koprofag said:
What's the difference between AC30, Roadster and Stingray clean? It would surprise me if the Roadster with all its tube options and voicings couldn't pull off similar sounds.

There's actually quite a bit of difference....

The Roadster has a GREAT clean, but not the clean I've been looking for over the last 10 years. The Roadster is more "Fender-ish", with a lower mid-range focus and a lower, but looser low end. The AC30 is a more high mid-range focus with a real tight, crisp, springy sound to it. The Stangray is kind of a combination of the two with the AC30 mid focus and chime (but not shrill highs), and the more prominant, rounded low end that you hear in the Roadster/Fenders.

I've thought about the Lonestar Classic and special, but they're still more Fender-ish than I'm wanting. There's the same type of argument with American vs British (Boogie vs Marshall) in distortion as there is with clean tones (Fender vs Vox) and I'm looking for more of the British clean tone, which is what the Dr. Z is modeled after and improved upon.

I don't see anything wrong with you doing that. I mean if the amp isn't for you it isn't for you. Gotta get what makes the sound you hear in your head come to life :)

I agree with JamesD. If the amp is not doing it then get something that will. Sounds like he Dr. Z amp will more than satisfy you. And, if you know what the rectoverb can do I say GO FOR IT!!!!!

Not to confuse more, have you tried the Z Prescription ES ? That'll do some VOX magic for you I imagine.

You might try EL34's in your Roadster. That should add a bit more UK flavor to the sounds, making the clean more VOX-like. 6L6's contribute a lot to that fat and deep Fender-style clean. EL34's are higher and tighter in the bass with a bit more upper midrange snap. Also, EL84's in Yellow-Jackets might work for you too.

mr_fender said:
You might try EL34's in your Roadster. That should add a bit more UK flavor to the sounds, making the clean more VOX-like. 6L6's contribute a lot to that fat and deep Fender-style clean. EL34's are higher and tighter in the bass with a bit more upper midrange snap. Also, EL84's in Yellow-Jackets might work for you too.

+1, I agree -- I find that I very much like the chimier, crisper cleans with El34s on my RK II; they're a bit reminiscent of the jangly sound of the LSS.

Well, I took to long getting back with the guy that had the Stangray and he got an offer on it and couldn't pass it up.

I'm relieved in a way, and I'm disappointed in a way. I may be just selling the Roadster now, but I'm not sure, and getting what I want on my own terms.

I'll keep you all posted.

tele_jas said:
Platypus said:
Not to confuse more, have you tried the Z Prescription ES ? That'll do some VOX magic for you I imagine.

That's the other amp on my "GAS" list.... but it doesn't have an FX loop, and I really want an amp with a loop.

Maybe Dr. Z would custom make one for you? That'd be sweet if he did.

I played that amp with an SG when I was trying to find a nice british combo and that amp was definetly up your alley from the sound of your tone in clips you've posted.

Latest posts

Back