Thinking of buying a Roadster or a Mark IV....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoundFondler55

Reaction score
Hi, my first post of the board! (and a long one)

My rig at the moment is Wireless>Rocktron Voodu Valve>BBE 482i>Mesa 20/20>Marshall 4x12AV

Using a Les Paul and a Custom Warmoth. My problem is its just not QUITE what I want. It sounds great - but I was at a club the other night and there was a cover band playing, and one of the guitarists just had killer tone. I took a look (from a distance) and he was using a Mesa Combo, I think a rectoverb, I couldn't see.

Anyway, it really got me thinking - I play in a cover band too by the way - heres me lugging around a 6U rack and 4x12 sounding good, and this guys carrying a 1x12 and sounding amazing. My idea is, I sell off my current kit, and scale down to a combo.

I originally thought Roadster (Road King is way to expensive for me), but I've heard great things about the Mark IV as well.

In terms of my band and what we play - its a lot of classic rock, summer of '69, sweet home - party anthems, but personally I do love a bit of metal. Its a 4 piece band, I play sole guitar on most songs, and we're quite bass heavy.

Any thoughts? I love the versatility of the Roadster, and I will try them out in a local store - but its hard to compare without cranking.

Sorry for the long post, but hope someone can help me out.

Thanks

I use the MKIV in a classic rock band and I'm very impressed. I was using a Plexi and loved it but the MKIV has a ton of options. MKIV to me has more vintage vibe going for it then the Roadster. The MKIV can do metal too, but if you want the metal recto sound then go for the Roadster IMHO. I chose the MKIV after playing both amps but if I had enough money I would have both amps.

Both are going to be awesome amps! You can't go wrong with either really. It depends what kind of metal you are interested in. The Mark IV is going to be much tighter for metal.

Thanks for your replies -

I'm not really going to be playing metal with it. Ignore any metal association I gave - occasionally I enjoy playing it myself, but never in a band. Its not my thing, so its not important to the tone.

Anyone got some more advice?

I'm struggling here!

Believe it or not, both the RK II & Roadster are more " Plug & Play" than the Mark IV.

If you have the opportunity, yo should try and play both.

I love the RK II, MK IV, and racks....that's ehy I have all 3 and am not going to get rid of neither.

I've scaled down my monster rack to a very portable 4 spaces.

Back to the topic......If I could only have one amp, it may have to be the MK IV...and this only because I lovethe Mark tones above and beyond all other Mesa sounds.

Latest posts

Back