thinking about selling the Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan_kilco

Reaction score
recently got a Peavey 5150 and as much as I hate to say it, I like the Peavey more than my Mesa Mark IV.
It's overall tighter sounding. I does get a bit too much treble, and I have to back the Presence and Treble way down, but its just not as muddy as the Mesa. I dont know if this is a wise move or not.....

oh noes. mark iv and muddy in the same sentence?!?? BLASPHEMY! j/k. well its all up to you really, the 5150 isnt a bad amp by any means, probably a bit more gain, but maybe you just havent hit the sweet spot on the mark iv. but that could be a reason to sell it also b/c the 5150 is easier to dial in.

i was in the same situation as you almost, i wanted a 5150 and wanted to sell the markiv. but i just couldnt and cant let it go.

bryan_kilco said:
recently got a Peavey 5150 and as much as I hate to say it, I like the Peavey more than my Mesa Mark IV.
It's overall tighter sounding. I does get a bit too much treble, and I have to back the Presence and Treble way down, but its just not as muddy as the Mesa. I dont know if this is a wise move or not.....

If you found something that inspires you more than by all means go for it. But I would be remiss if I didn't at least try to talk you into keeping your Mark IV ;)

Can you give us a detailed description of your setup (cabs/guitars/settings) that you're using with your Mark IV? The Mark IV is an amp that can easily sound like absolute crap if not dialed in correctly.. that said, it's not for everyone. :idea:

well my gear is all listed in my sig.

I have owned the Mark IV for about 3 years now, and I've messed with alllll kinds of different setting and such.

The 5150 does have TOO much gain, and I need to back it down to about 6 or 7. but the Mark....I dunno.....just seems too muddy even with the gain rolled back. too much of that mesa "crunch" to it.

does your s470 have stock pickups? does your 5150 cab have stock speakers? those could be messing up your vibe with the mark iv... but then again like every death metal band uses a 5150. what kind of sound are you going for?

guitardude05 said:
does your s470 have stock pickups? does your 5150 cab have stock speakers? those could be messing up your vibe with the mark iv... but then again like every death metal band uses a 5150. what kind of sound are you going for?
yeah, stock everything, basically.
I want to upgrade pickups to SD's and eventually get a Recto cab....but I simply cannot afford it right now.

and yeah, im going for a death/tech/grind sorta tone....but i want versatility.

Like, I LOVE the MKIV's Clean channel, whereas the Peaveys clean sucks.

Im thinking about trying go A/B these amps one day for recording..... :twisted:

Stick with the MKIV man.. with EQ'ing or even a multiband EQ in the loop, you should be able to get the tones you need out of the MKIV. How loud are you playing? Better yet, don't sell the MKIV, save up for the 5150 and get an ABY pedal to run both of them in sync for what would likely be a fuckin sweet *** tone.

i did the opposite.
i sold my fja modded 5150 once i got my mark IV's and i've never thought about it twice.

the fja (clarity and bias) mods are a must for that amp.
the stock 5150 is pretty terrible, IMO.

Dude, I have a stock S520, the combo of the stock pickups and mahogony body will make the amp sound a bit muddy. I also play an old RG570 with duncans in it and it is tight and bright. I also use a vintage stock G&L S500 with an ash body and that is middle of the road. I feel I have all bases covered. What I am trying to say is, before giving up on the IV experiment with different pick-ups and guitars.

I was close to selling mine and getting a roadster, The more I played the Roadster, the more I appreciated the IV. Now I love it and would never let it go. I may get another amp one day, but my son will get my IV when I die.

I have a 6505 head that I've modded to 60 Watts. I also just purchased a Mesa/Boogie DC-3, which, with its lead channel cranked, sounds somewhat similar to the Mark IV, but not as "edgy" and less defined. I have to agree somewhat with the TS, though. The 6505 has great metal presence, and "bite." But after playing a Mark IV today, the Mesa's tone pretty much pwns the 6505. The 5150/6505s are still very decent amps and great for metal. It's a poor man's Soldano, but with a bit more bottom-end.

Although I like my 6505, the Mark IV pwns it for overall tone and versatility. I would keep the Mark IV if at all possible. Otherwise, let me get a place in line here too.

JimAnsell said:
i did the opposite.
i sold my fja modded 5150 once i got my mark IV's and i've never thought about it twice.

the fja (clarity and bias) mods are a must for that amp.
the stock 5150 is pretty terrible, IMO.
That's surprising. Those FJA-modded 5150s sound pretty amazing, IMO. Well, that just goes to show ya . . . different people like different amps.

bryan_kilco said:

Cut the treble cap on the lead channel... just snip one leg (so you can put it back to stock if needed). It will bring the treble down making both channels treble "almost" the same. Also, make sure to put a bias pot in it...another simple mod. 8)

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
I sold my 5150 for my Mark IV.

Which reminds me I must update my sig.

Anyways, 5150s a great amp, but wow, you have the gain at 7? :shock:
yeah about 6 or 7 on the gain. its about perfect to my ears there. anymore and its muddy. i just feel that the 5150 is tighter than the Mark, which is what I love.

bryan_kilco said:
. . . yeah about 6 or 7 on the gain . . . just feel that the 5150 is tighter than the Mark, which is what I love.
I usually have my 6505's gain at about '7' as well. Yes, tighter. But it's nice to have both. I really like the Mesa for dark, toneful leads, and the 6505 for palm mutes and sharp, hard-fretted rhythm. Really punches through, and has a lot of "bite" that I just can't get out of my DC-3. But, with the DC-3 turned up, rhythms really start to grind with that Mesa grit, and sounds awesome. I don't think the tone mod is necessary on the 5150/6505. I just keep my presence and treble under control and it's fine.

FORGET EVERYTHING I JUST SAID!

Keep your Mark IV and buy a Recto! It'll solve all your problems. I just got a Single-Recto Solo 50 head, and I love it. It totally pwns my 6505. The 6505 is **** compared to a Recto. But you really need/want both. A Recto AND a Mark IV-type Mesa (I have a Mesa DC-3 and a Recto—a GREAT combination!). Very different amps. Because, Marks CANNOT "do" Recto.

Latest posts

Back