Thinking about getting a Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnumb44

Reaction score
Is the brochureware accurate on this amp? I am pleased with my Lone Star Classic, but have been wondering if the MKIV might provide a little more flexibility. How hard is it to dial in a good tone and can you get a warmer, blues based tone out of it in addition to the other sonic characters.

From the description, I don't know if it will be that much different than the LSC - if you include the drive option of the LSC as a third channel option.

Just curious. I really like the clean channel of the LSC, but there are times when I would like a thicker, crunchier sound than I can get from it.

Thanks!

Recommend you find a Mark IV and play test it for yourself.

I just tried a new Mark IV and returned it to the store, it was not what I expected. I have a Mesa Nomad 55 4x10 (6L6/EL34) that is more suited to my style of playing and provides the overall tones I want.

Guitar Center has the Mark IV as a "special code" item, meaning, they can sell them at a reduced price. I brought the Mark IV 1x12 wide combo home for $1399 plus tax. That's why I really tried to love the amp (the reduced price), but I couldn't make it happen, after days of reading the manual and dialing in clean/crunch rythm and lead tones.

In short I was happy with the lead tones, but less happy with the rythm tones. I felt the Mark IV had a lack of "balls", a lack of bass/mids, even when I tried it simultaneous with a Mesa 3/4 open back 1x12 cabinet w/ a C90 (just like the C90 in the combo amp itself).

Again I encourage you to try it for yourself, it may be a great match for you and your style. I know there are many Mark IV owners that love them.

-Gary K

Latest posts

Back