Thinking about buying RectoVerb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I buy a Recto-Verb

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PreventThis

Reaction score
Hey. Im new here. I dont think I have any posts yet but ive been wanting a Mesa for a while but I didnt have the cash for one. Now I have some extra money and im going to buy one. I went to my local mesa dealer here and I wanted to get a Dual Rectifier Solo Head. Well they didnt have any in stock and said that it would cost more in a few months because of a price rise that is getting ready to go into effect. Well so after that I decided to play on one of the RectoVerb combos they had beings all they had was a triple rectifier and thats way to much volume for me. So after I played it I decided it sounded really good pretty much all around to my hearing. I didnt buy it yet but im really considering it. It will be my first tube amp ive ever owned. Im wondering how it compares to the dual rectifier though because I have listened to sound clips on this site and others and I was convinced that it was the amp for me so I would like to know if I will still be able to get comparable tones from the rectoverb. And also it is $1479 there at the store. Im not sure if thats a good price or what. I dont think its used because he had to look it up on the computer and the used ones said used on them with a price tag. So I think its enough of me talking I just need to know if its worth the money and will it give me the results comparable to a dual rectifier. Thanks for all the help.

Welcome :D
Mesa's are set pricing, so any dealer you go to is going to have the same price (unless it's a discontinued model). As far as the rushing into buying it because the price on the DR is going up, I wouldn't. Nobody knows if it's gonna be all mesas or just one model, or a couple models and even with a price increase (which I highly doubt would be that much) it wouldn't be worth it to "settle" for an amp, because you'll get the urge to go get the one you originally wanted anyway. The sales person may just be assuming that it's going up in price and using that as a sales tactic, but I would ask him where he heard it, if his store actually recieved a message from mesa or someone just told him that.

Dual Rectifiers are available at most mesa dealers, so you may want to see if there is another store fairly close to you that has one, or if it's a GC, they can have another store ship one to them within a week.

That being said, if you decide to get the rectoverb, see if you can take it for a test drive, that way you can see how it sounds at full volume in your normal playing environment, because I've never played on an amp that sounded the same at the store as with my band or at my house.

So given the situation, until further details come out, I would be against it.

Yeah I looked into going into another store but unfortunatley there is only one anywhere near me. I also dont have a Guitar Center. I wish I did those stores are awesome but I dont.

Personally, I wouldn't compromise.

I'd just order a DR, if a DR was what I really wanted.

I could have bought a DR, or even a Marshall JCM800, as both were available, but I've been waiting eight weeks now for my Mark IV, and it should be coming in..

Trust me, waiting for your amp is totally worth it.

I like the sound of the amp though. Ive never played a dual rec. Im thinking it might be too loud for my needs anyway. I dont play any gigs yet or anything im just buying it to use for my band and recording in the next few weeks and practicing at home. So the 50 watts would be more than enough. Im still undecided of what I want. Im trying to think about it alot because its a big purchase.

Does anyone know if the Rectoverb is comparable to the Dual Rectifier. Because ive been thinking about it alot lately and I think the the DR would be too loud for me, and not worth the money because I dont play gigs yet and my parents hate when I play loud.

If you're think 100 watts is too loud, 50 watts probably is too. But if you really like the ROV, it's close sounding to a Dual Rectifier, but it doesn't have a tube rectifier option on it, which IMO is some of the magic of the DR. They are the same family of amp, but there are differences between every model, and honestly I don't think I've heard 2 Dual Rectifiers sound exactly the same, they can be dialed in on each other, but each one has something unique about it, same with most tube amps.

First off welcome. If this is your first tube amp this is the forum to be on.

I started with the Mesa family with a ROV. They are great amps. I had tried DR's and TR's and before the ROV. At my dealer no one ever pointed me toward one. I ended up finding my ROV used and brought it home.

While I liked the amp it was missing some things I enjoyed, namely tube/diode option and channel assignable loop. I personally don't like tap dancing and only use a few effects with the clean channel only. With the ROV I hated turning off pedals then changing channels. The only effect I ran on the dirty channel was a wah out front.

The clean channel I thought was better in my ROV than the DR's and the dirt channel...the saturation was there, it just appeared to my ears to be lacking something. Both amps are loud. Period. The DR being 100w is not twice as loud but does sound better and retain clarity and tightness when cranked.

If your thought is to pull two tubes from the DR I offer this, It's still loud and it will sound just like an ROV w/more options. I tried and found it's a waste of time.

I'd suggest finding an ROV used. You can find them for around $800 - $900. You can also turn around and sell them for this price so you'll be out nothing. If you find you like it keep it. I also suggest adding a 2x12 rectifier cab. The combination of the ROV C90 3/4 speacker and the 2x12 V30 enclosed is awesome. I've sold the ROV but I kept the 2x12.

Good luck.

I think im going to look around for a little bit for a DR. Ive sent an email to my next closest mesa dealer which is an hour and a half away so hopefully they will have one and ill go up there and check it out. If they dont guitar center has one in stock on their website and my closest Guitar Center is about 2 hours away so ill see if I can get it shipped to that location and go try it there. Does anyone know if GC will do that.

GC should do that, but if the first person you talk to says no, get a manager on the phone and tell him you really are interested in the ROV, but it being a 2 hour drive you can only make it once the amp is in, and then let him know you plan on making a few other purchases while your there (even if your not) that way they will be more willing to do something like that, especially if they assume to make a good deal of cash.

Yeah im really wanting a 3ch DR so hopefully this store I emailed will have one so that I wont have to deal with the GC thing. I dont really want to wait for it which is why I didnt just order one new. Now that ive played that ROV at the store it got me very excited because I really liked the sound of that thing. I think thats got to be the best tone ive ever heard out of a combo. It was suprisingly really thick sounding (something I like). But I still want that DR so im going to try my best to get that.

Latest posts

Back