Thinkin of getting a Mark V - Combo vs Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QuantBlue said:
Thanks a lot guys!
Im going to post as soon as i tried them out both ;)

yeah, been following the thread, just curious as to what you will end up with.

I always buy heads. I dont care for combos ever. To me nothing sits well with me about putting my tubes in the same box as my speaker or speakers. Plus I dont care for the sound of a open back cab. It all depends on your needs and your style. I say buy the head though as you will always find someone selling their combo cab on ebay if you want to convert your head into a combo. I rarely ever see headshells available though. That right there tells you something.

The Combo for many manufacturers is typically a lower wattage different amp, not so with Mark V. It is the exact same amp front and back panel as Combo or Head. It can run a stack just like the head or you can bring it to small simple easy gigs with the 1 speaker. I dont care what it looks like sitting next to a 4x12 I can set it on my 2x12 and run 3 speaker, or run it as a single speaker mic'd in a small room. Combo all the way because it is the same amp either way.

The head is 48lbs, the combo around seventy. I chose the head after picking up the combo. I have a variety of cabs, but for ease of transport the head and a single 1x12 are much easier to balance in both hands than the deadweight of the combo on one side (I gigged for a while with a Peavey Triumph 120 combo, and that thing was a PIG to haul around).

SteveO said:
The head is 48lbs, the combo around seventy. I chose the head after picking up the combo. I have a variety of cabs, but for ease of transport the head and a single 1x12 are much easier to balance in both hands than the deadweight of the combo on one side (I gigged for a while with a Peavey Triumph 120 combo, and that thing was a PIG to haul around).

I agree with the combo being a pig and it could be a pain to haul if you hand carry the beast...hehe. My combo and road case (w/ 1/4" ply and 4" casters) is 108 pounds. If I was carrying it all would be a pig for sure but rolling it makes it negligible. Small stairs are a ***** but I've yet to run into a full flight of stairs in a venue that didn't have an elevator.

With the head being 48lbs, if you add a road case that would make it close to combo weight no? Add cabs w/o a road case then the overall weight of a cab/head can easily out weight my combo in a road case. The total, overall weight for me breaks my back as well as the weight of my individual pieces. This is my rationale with regards to the weight and all.

Latest posts

Back