Thiele ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
I was wondering, if I put a 1x12 thiele under my mk4, will it make a huge difference in the bass department ? And also for bedroom volumes does it really matter if it is an ev loaded or a c90 loaded cab. The amp is loaded with an ev-l speaker by the way.

Thanks

Geiri

The Mark IV combo on top of a Thiele is the greatest sound on earth to me. That setup will sound incredible at any volume.

I use a Thiele with my Mark IV. It really does a good job of adding low end to your amp. I think a thiele sounds great at any volume. Having an extra speaker really improves the tone for bedroom playing too.

I can't help much with the speaker question. I have two open back 1x12 cabs and a Thiele. I have them loaded with a an EVM, C-90 and Mojo BV-30. I've rearranged the speakers several times and come to the conclusion that I like them each one of them for a different reason. It's just a matter of taste. My favorite combination is the EVM in an open-back cab (or combo) and the Mojotone in the Thiele.

Cool

Thanks guys. I'm contemplating a thiele and just wanted to get some opinions regarding the benefit of having one.

Mark Fore said:
The Mark IV combo on top of a Thiele is the greatest sound on earth to me. That setup will sound incredible at any volume.

+1

That's exactly the rig I currently use.
Three-dimensional highs coming from the open cab blend with the low-end thunder, making the most complete tone I've ever heard.

Sounds great at any level, though you will have to roll off high frequencies as you increase the volume.

Mark Fore said:

It is a back breaker, but it is what I use also.

primeholy said:
Mark Fore said:

It is a back breaker, but it is what I use also.

I highly recommend a head conversion for a Mark Combo. It's expensive but it will cost far less than your first ER visit after you throw your back out. :)

GD_NC said:
I highly recommend a head conversion for a Mark Combo.

And lose the 3D sound projection of open back enclosure (plus the convenience of attaching the footswitch to its back)?
NEVER!
:lol:
Most Mesa combos come with casters for a reason. Use them :)

straitouttahell said:
GD_NC said:
I highly recommend a head conversion for a Mark Combo.

And lose the 3D sound projection of open back enclosure (plus the convenience of attaching the footswitch to its back)?
NEVER!
:lol:
Most Mesa combos come with casters for a reason. Use them :)

I use a Mark IV head + Mesa open back 1x12 cab + 1x12 thiele. As far as I can tell, it sounds exactly the same as a Mark Combo + Thiele. You can attach the footswitch to the back of a Mark IV head the attachments are there. However, it's a real pain in the *** to get the cord inside of a short head. I don't feel like I've lost anything (except a few hundred bucks :D ).

Keep in mind the Mesa Thiele cab was designed specifically for the EVM-12L, using any other speaker in that cab will be second best if even that.

t0aj15 said:
Keep in mind the Mesa Thiele cab was designed specifically for the EVM-12L, using any other speaker in that cab will be second best if even that.

That is what my original question was about. But why did mesa go with the c90 speaker instead of continuing with the ev ??

My amp sounds very good at any volume but I was wondering if I could have some more of that goodness with a thiele. I found a german manufacturer who is building thieles and loading them with the EV-L speaker. I guess I'll just buy it from him then instead of mesa.

Thanks for the info guys.

Geiri

When EV discontinued the EVM-12L speaker, Mesa had to switch to the V30 for most everything except the 1x12's. A couple years ago EV reissued the EVM-12L's but Mesa didn't opt to use them at that point.

To me, THE definitive Mesa sound is a mix of EV and Celestion coming from a Mark head. That dates me as an 80's guy, but that's when I got into Mesa's and is the tone I was looking for; perfect.

t0aj15 said:

That's kind of short sighted isn't it?

Sure, a Thiele cab was designed for an EVM. No question. And a PAF was designed for a Les Paul, but just about everyone rips them out and puts in some other kind of pickups. We all change tubes in our amps to alter the tone one way or the other. So what's the difference here?

Experimentation is the only way to know what you like. LOTS of speakers sound good in a thiele style cab. EVM is NOT the only way to go.

GD_NC said:
t0aj15 said:

That's kind of short sighted isn't it?

Sure, a Thiele cab was designed for an EVM. No question. And a PAF was designed for a Les Paul, but just about everyone rips them out and puts in some other kind of pickups. We all change tubes in our amps to alter the tone one way or the other. So what's the difference here?

Experimentation is the only way to know what you like. LOTS of speakers sound good in a thiele style cab. EVM is NOT the only way to go.
I agree.

I have 3 Thiele's - 2 with EV's and 1 with a C90. Each of the cabs sound great.

The EV's have as more clarity and punch than the C90 at higher volumes. However, at lower volumes they sound very similar.

At higher volumes, the C90 breaks up quicker and is slightly warmer/smoother sounding.

Again, both are excellent cabs and either one would be an excellent choice.

Latest posts

Back