There is some hidden grind in "Crunch" mode...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I have been using Mark I mode ever sense I figured out how to dial it in. But after seeing Petrucci's Crunch mode settings I have been playing with Crunch mode and loving it.

There is some great classic rock grind hidden in this amp.

I put an RCA 12at7 in V2, and that really brought out the best of crunch mode. With the lower gain, a "clean with a touch of hair" tone is much easier to achieve, but you can still get plenty of dirt if you crank up the pre.

For me, I am still learning my way around this amp, but one of my "aha" moments with the crunch channel was that you really have to push the power tubes to get that saturated grind. I had been tweaking in 45 watt mode at home-levels and not getting that saturated sound I was used to. I bumped up the mids a bit and threw it into 10 watt mode and "ahhhhh" there it is! :lol:

There isn't much to be improved upon on this amp - and I know nothing about designing an amp, but it would be kinda interesting if there was two graphic EQs. I find I really set the GEQ much different for channel two vs channel 3 - more of a mid-hump than a V like on channel 3. This has forced me to experiment with the presets in channel 3 alot more.

I don't use the preset or sliders on crunch mode, just the treble, mid, bass, and presence controls.

Back