The Touring Rig is COMPLETE! Major LOUD inside!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Got my cases from the company that endorsed us, and finally got everything together. Here's a quick rundown for you fellow gear whores ;)

Mesa Roadster (EL-34s) & Mesa Mark IVa (6L6s) in stereo...each to its own Mills Acoustics 4x12 (V30s). The Mark IV is basically always running dry. The Roadster has a Maxon OD808 up front, and MXR EQ and Carbon Copy in the loop. X2 wireless is there for the bigger stages. If I need it, I just plug it into the GCX, and go.

At the bottom of the case is a custom drawer that holds spare tubes, my Wireless transmitter, Ground Control Pro, and cables. The entire rig is controlled via MIDI w/ the GCX, RJM Amp Gizmo, and Ground Control Pro.

A little note on my take on Stereo rigs after putting this together. There is a certain beauty here that I never quite appreciated, and it really helped my on my LONG tone quest. I've had two main gripes with EVERY amp I've ever owned.

- I could not get the depth I liked along with the cut I liked
- I've never liked running a wet signal only. I hate when the effects overwhelm the guitar sound.

The Stereo rig solved ALL these :)

So, here's what's going on.

Clean: Channel 1 on Mark IV dry, and Channel 1 on Roadster w/ Delay and Reverb

The whole depth versus cut starts right here. I set the Roadster for a FAT and smooth clean, while the Mark IV is bright and spanky. Together it makes for the PERFECT clean sound. The effects on the Roadster add more 'space' to the sound, which the Mark keeps a dry guitar signal at all times.

Crunch: Channel 1 on Mark IV dry, and Channel 2 on Roadster w/ Reverb

This was a REALLY cool combination I found. The bright clean on the Mark blends really well with the low gain sound on the Roadster. I also add the Maxon to the Roadster for some fluidity in bluesy leads, etc.

Rhythm: Channel 3 w/ EQ on Mark IV, and Channel 4 on Roadster w/ MXR EQ.

THIS sound blew my away. FAR AWAY. The Roadster is an outstanding amp, but it is very dark. It has depth and punch like no other amp I've owned, but it lacks clarity by itself IMO. When I added the Mark IV, which alone I thought was too thin, it really opened my eyes. The Mark is set for a bright and punchy distortion. With these two running together, somehow, the mud of the Roadster is completely negated, and it adds CRAZY depth and girth to the Mark IV. The highs are there, they low end punch is there, and there is this REALLY COOL harmonic complexity / swirl going on in chords. When I want to get REALLY brOOtal, I add the Maxon to the Roadster, but for my main distortion sounds, it isn't even necessary. I wish you guys could come jam on this with me.

Lead: Channel 3 on Mark IV Dry, and Channel 3 on Roadster w/ Delay and Maxon OD808

We all know the Mark IV does leads in spades. But, as mentioned before, I HATE to mix and muddy that with delay. So, I run the Roadster wet and boosted on Channel 3 vintage, and it adds and awesome dimension to the fluid lead of the Mark IV. I really don't think it can get any better than this.

Finally, some pictures for you guys!

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Very nice rig! My live rig is also a Roadster and a Mark IV in stereo, they sound great together! Who made that case?

That's rad bro... running two amps in stereo is the ****. I play my RKII and MKIV together, tons of fun to be had!

Sweet rig! Coming to Vancouver, BC anytime? 8)

Tone on that rig has got to be massive! Kinda light on the effects though. How are those cabs compared to the mesa recto cabs?

I'm not a big effects guy, so no worries there.

I love the Mills cabs. They blow ALL the Mesa cabs I've owned out of the water. I used to own a Recto cab...didn't like it much at all. I then had two traditional cabs....great cabs, but when I got the Mills and put them side by side, it was no contest.

I could write a long review here, but the short of it is, they are the best cabs out there IMO.

Amazing rig you got there. Love the cases and everything just looks killer. Hope I could make something similar within the next year.

Do you have any pictures of the back of this rig? I would really love to see how you have yourself set to running both amps the way you do.

Pretty simple actually.

When you run through the front of the GCX, if splits the signal into two outs in the back. One goes through the Maxon, and then to the Roadster, and the other goes to the Mark IV.

I then send the effects loop of the Roadster to the GCX to loop the pedals in there.

Simple, and sounds great!

Eric

I understand that part. I suppose I should have been a bit more specific. How are you running both amps through your Ground Control to signal the channels you want? I thank you for your response. I am new to building a rack, but I seem to understand building it for one amp. I've always wanted to add a Mark IV with my Roadster but was never sure how I would go about properly switching the channels. Does this make sense?

Gotcha.

All you need to do is get both amps running MIDI.

I have the functions of the Mark IV controlled via 4 loops of the GCX audio switcher to the external switching jacks of the Mark IV.

The Roadster is controlled via an RJM mini amp gizmo. It could also be controlled via the GCX and external switching jacks, but I needed the rest of the loops for pedals. The Amp gizmo makes things VERY clean.

So, now that both amps are running MIDI, I just assign any combination of anything to the switches on my Ground Control Pro, and that's it.

Let me know if that answered your question.

Eric

I just brought my Randall RM100 home from the band spot for thanksgiving break and Im running it along with my RK1 in stereo or A & B out of my pedalboard... I love the sound of two sources controlled by my effects but as a small venue musician I never get to use the both due to limited stage space lol

great looking tour rig btw... I love the drawers for your midi switcher and tubes

Latest posts

Back