The TONE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneguy86

Reaction score
So...I had two gigs on Sat.--one outdoors and one indoors. First gigs after a tube switch from JJ E34Ls back to JJ6L6GC tubes. First...I have just really realized that this amp is really made for 6L6s. They certainly accept EL34, but there is probably a reason why the amp ships with 6L6s and in fact there is an allusion to this in the manual. The realities of this amp are that it is mid range and low end heavy which makes E34Ls in particular a mismatch. They just have way to much low end and mids and on some stages in particular is was REALLY evident and because of the tubes, I could never dial out this hump. The 6L6s are perfect. I can goose the mids a bit but still not be over the top and the JJ tubes have a nice firm low end as well that just sounds really good. On Sat. I played two very different venues and with minimal tweaking just had astounding tone the cut through and filled the room nicely.

Settings w/ a Les Paul:

C1:
Gain: 3:00 (I ride the volume and dial back for my clean rhythm and dial way back and add the solo boost) for very clean...works for what I do)
Treble 2:00+
Mids: 10:00+
Lows: 10:00
Presense: 11:00

C2
Drive: 1:00
Gain: 11:00 (drive higher then the gain is CRITICAL)
Treble: 2:00
Mids: 10:00
Lows: 10:00+
Presense: 11:00+

Key thing is Reeder mod OR bring the drive up higher then the gain. It makes a big difference.

Mark

Back