The tone experiment begins... (pics, audio, vids inside)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Hoof. My suggestion...

Mic position 1
On axis
Touching grill
Perpendicular to grill cloth

Mic position 2
Off axis by 1.5 inch
everything else the same

Mic position 3
Move another 1.5 inch
everything else the same

Well, seems like you're the only player so far! I think others will chime in in a bit here once things get rolling.

Nowww.... Shall we drive the amp, and leave the preamp at a lower level, or shall we drive the preamp, and leave my amp at a lower level?

The only other thing here is what level we're going to record at. This is 24bit, so it can go a bit lower. What should we shoot for? -6? -12?

The Magic Hoof said:
Well, seems like you're the only player so far! I think others will chime in in a bit here once things get rolling.

Nowww.... Shall we drive the amp, and leave the preamp at a lower level, or shall we drive the preamp, and leave my amp at a lower level?

The only other thing here is what level we're going to record at. This is 24bit, so it can go a bit lower. What should we shoot for? -6? -12?

I would record the signal at about -12dbfs to -6dbfs. A lot of people think you should record as hot as you can without digital peaking (-0dbfs)

http://www.massivemastering.com/blog/html/blog_files/Proper_Audio_Recording_Levels.html

That might be an interesting read for you.

As for your mic preamp. Its not spectacular and honestly isnt going to open up that 57 the same way a quality vacuum tube or high end discrete pre would. At the same time, the spider II amp isn't exactly going to sound better as you crank it up like a tube amp would. For the most part, the dynamic amd attack is is going to be similar. My suggestion would be to crack your amp as high as you like until you get the amount of speaker breakup that suits you. However, be careful. From the video, it seems that your room isn't acoustically treated and might not have the best sound characteristics. However, Ive never been in or heard your room, so I can't say for sure. Perhaps it is acoustically fit. You are going to have to be the judge. Just keep in mind that the louder your amp is, the more standing waves, trapped bass frequencies, etc you are going to have to deal with. I would find a nice grey area between the speaker breakup you like, but not to loud that your room just sounds like utter crap, and then I would use the mic preamp control and add a bit of gain until you get to around -12ish dbfs. Record a short clip and play it back to see how it sounds after the A/D process. From there, tweak the mic placement and amp placement settings until you are satisfied.

My $0.02

One thing I noticed is that you've got the Firestation mic pre hooked up to the Firebox. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that just running one mic pre into another? Even though your not using XLR into the Firebox I don't think that its bypassing it, and I'm fairly confident that the Firebox has no way of switching the pre's off. I may be wrong though, its just something that caught my eye that may be a problem. (sorry if I wrong :? )

magic hoof,

Don't let the dream die dude! Record somthing so we can hear the differences. I am interested in how the recordings will differ.

Esromeron said:
One thing I noticed is that you've got the Firestation mic pre hooked up to the Firebox. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that just running one mic pre into another? Even though your not using XLR into the Firebox I don't think that its bypassing it, and I'm fairly confident that the Firebox has no way of switching the pre's off. I may be wrong though, its just something that caught my eye that may be a problem. (sorry if I wrong :? )

Yea that would be a good way to get an awful SNR.

I have to imagine the line inputs on that thing aren't going to run the signal through the mic pre stage, eh? I don't know for sure of course, but that'd just be plain weird, and cripple its usefulness.... of course, some companies like to do that to their products, so I don't know :)

i'm still curious guy... but i don't have record skills enough to give an opinion... :wink:

Latest posts

Back