The one guitar you regret most parting with?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 2 Norlin Era LPs I wish I hadn't let go of, an 81 Custom and 80 K.M. also a 2002 Gibson Blackbird.

I have two guitars that I kick myself to this day for selling
A 1961 SG JR. sold that in 1977 ...duh just a stupid teenager, really stupid. I paid $125 for it, sold it for $150
A 1968 Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe, paid $200 for it in 1978(ish?) sold that in 1980 for $350
You could literally buy these at swap shops for next to nothing back then. I remember having trouble selling the SG no one wanted them? crazy eh?

Honestly it was the horribly pink USA made ESP with 3 single coils. I bought it because the neck was AMAZING, then added a Floyd rose and a new clear pickguard and some upgraded pick ups...sigh. Yep, wish I stll had it.

For me, it's a toss up between a Rossington LP and a 1952 to 1959 LP Conversion. The top carve on the '52 was like a woman, it was insane.

Early/Mid-1990s Ibanez RG550 yellow, 1980s (?) Ibanez DT350 and mid-1990s Fender Telecaster red, maple neck and black pick guard. My friend owns the RG but the other two are long gone. The finish on the telecaster’s neck was chipping off so wasn’t perfect but sounded great.

I have two guitars that I kick myself to this day for selling
A 1961 SG JR. sold that in 1977 ...duh just a stupid teenager, really stupid. I paid $125 for it, sold it for $150
A 1968 Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe, paid $200 for it in 1978(ish?) sold that in 1980 for $350
You could literally buy these at swap shops for next to nothing back then. I remember having trouble selling the SG no one wanted them? crazy eh?
I just have to say from a coincidence perspective, I have a double cut Junior, and a 69 Deluxe, I’ve kept both. Cheers

1965 Telecaster with a Rosewood neck ,,paid $300.00 …it had the Fender tag hanging on it When I bought The ladies son died in Vietnam and she had it under his bed..didnt know what it was,,,,,get this little nugget of intelligence,I traded it in 1983 to a musical instrument company in Savannah while on the road for a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Squire ! Vintage equipment was everywhere at that time…you could get a Les Paul for 800 bucks then. I later saw that Tele model at a guitar show for 5000.00. Yup…stupid move but ya gotta do it once in life to be smarter,,,,man it feels good to get that off my conscience ,ok,,let the beatings begin here………………………………………………………………

My very first guitar that I owned, a 90's Jackson Rhoads EX, I miss it for sentimental reasons. I eventually smashed it against my Sony Trinitron in a drunken tantrum. The Trinitron survived, the Rhoads didn't.

I eventually developed stronger impulse control.

Many years ago when I was a young man I had a 60's white Les Paul Custom and possibly could have been a 50's with shaved neck that was basically stolen in Vancouver Canada. The shaved neck had super smooth feel and hand movement would just glide easily. A friend used to go to Seatle Washington once in a while, I think it was sold from Morry's or Manny's music and picked it up for me. Never saw it again.

Last edited:
In the late 90s or early 2000s I found out that Leslie West was selling a Les Paul Jr. I contacted him via the info I'd come across regarding the guitar. He was asking around 5K which was just more than I was comfortable with at the time. Plus, it was a Jr. which also at the time didn't appeal to me so much.

Does deciding not to buy this fit as being the same as letting one go? I did, in a way, let that one go and if it was really Leslie West, not buying it is definitely one of my regrets!

I had a Godin Flat Five X that I dearly loved it was a stereo guitar for acoustic bridge pickups and humbuckers. I've been looking for one ever since

First real guitar I owned: 1976 Les Paul Deluxe with mini humbuckers. I think I sold it for $1000...Dumbass :)

Looked just like this:

cncubw4rwy9gxm99m5ow.jpg

My Northern Les Paul copy. Canadian made with maple leaf shaped abalone dots on the fretboard. Not the best guitar but cool looking and was my first guitar. Never sold another guitar, just kept buying them.

1999 Gibson LP Standard plain top. It was slightly different from most. It came stock with chrome Grover machine heads and Schaller strap locks, and the rest of the hardware was nickel. Solid mahogany back (no weight relief or chambering) and incredibly heavy... which is the only reason I sold it. Definitely was one of the nicest sounding and playing LPs I've owned.

Basically the same as this one.

Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 6.45.15 AM.png

In the late 90s or early 2000s I found out that Leslie West was selling a Les Paul Jr. I contacted him via the info I'd come across regarding the guitar. He was asking around 5K which was just more than I was comfortable with at the time. Plus, it was a Jr. which also at the time didn't appeal to me so much.

Does deciding not to buy this fit as being the same as letting one go? I did, in a way, let that one go and if it was really Leslie West, not buying it is definitely one of my regrets!
yes, 20-20 hindsight is a painful lesson, eh? Leslie was a monster and to have that mojo would have been priceless.
My sister won a stratocaster from the Jeff Beck fan club that Jeff signed to her with love, I have it in my possesion. People are telling her to sell it after Jeff passed away ...she won't sell and besides I have it, so I won't let her sell it;)

I harbor no regrets, but miss a few.

74 Gibson Les Paul Custom. Did midwest regional tours with that 79-82. Sold it to buy my friend and manager a 60s Gibson EB3 bass so he could get his Felix Papalardi on.

91/2 PRS Custom 24. Toured that from Cabo to Juneau for a few years on the I-5 corridor. Stolen from home (along with many instruments and amps) while on the road about 15 years ago.

Sum uthas…try not to look back lest I break me neck. Forward!

yes, 20-20 hindsight is a painful lesson, eh? Leslie was a monster and to have that mojo would have been priceless.
My sister won a stratocaster from the Jeff Beck fan club that Jeff signed to her with love, I have it in my possesion. People are telling her to sell it after Jeff passed away ...she won't sell and besides I have it, so I won't let her sell it;)
You are very fortunate! The nest time Leslie has a guitar for sale I'm definitely buying it! 🥴

My very first guitar that I owned, a 90's Jackson Rhoads EX, I miss it for sentimental reasons. I eventually smashed it against my Sony Trinitron in a drunken tantrum. The Trinitron survived, the Rhoads didn't.

I eventually developed stronger impulse control.
Ah, to be young again, eh? 🤕

Latest posts

Back