The JP-2C Owner's Manual is up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also one of these IIC+ snobs and I'm lucky enough to have three of them. I couldn't be offended of anything said about the snob thing, it's just humor as Doug puts it. However I don't think the value of a real C+ will decrease (though some of the ebay prices are not priced to sell) and I hope that I never have to come in a situation that will force me to sell any of my C+'s. But I will definitely check out the JP2C when it hits the Norwegian market. When I first noticed the amp it looked like it was made for me, it certainly looks versatile, and you won't have to compromise between the channels.
However I made a workaround with that which works like a charm for me with my DIY channelswitcher with a FX loop that is only in the clean channel, which engages a Toneburst stompbox where I add the extra bass that I have to dial out for the Lead channel.
CH%20sw%20%20Fx%20loop_zpsqyxpqzru.jpg

Dear Doug,

How cool of you to respond like this. I must admit that I missed the joke at first (but I was not offended), but that is settled now IMHO. Please don't refrain from using humor in the manuals. It does make the reading more enjoyable and it has worked many times in previous manuals. You can't please everybody.

Cheers.

Authorized Boogie said:
Dear MARK II-C+ Owners and prospective JP-2C Owners,

It’s come to my attention that a phrase I wrote in the Owner’s Manual for the new JP-2C has offended some of our valued and loyal customer’s.  I can’t tell you the stress, sadness, embarrassment and regret I feel for possibly alienating and accidentally offending those who have supported our company and our products for so many years.  I want to apologize and humbly beg forgiveness for this offense and assure anyone that took offense at my words that it was meant not as an insult, but rather as a tongue in cheek humorous way of saying that the JP-2C really is that good and , in my opinion, better than a MARK II-C+.  Not because it sounds better, but because it offers so many more ways to get at and utilize those great sounds.

I also want to assure those that did take offense, that I am firmly planted in the very camp I was identifying… for I am an admitted II-C+ Snob of the highest order, and I should have made that crystal clear in my writing.   When faced with the task of creating a manual for such a full featured amplifier that will end up being very long and  let’s face it, possibly boring,  I have been tempted time and again to include a bit of humor to break up the technical monotony. Perhaps there is no place at all for it, but when the task of creating more thorough manuals for our amplifiers fell in my lap  30 years ago, I vowed to make them more enjoyable and real in terms of how musicians view things and speak than those I had in my  stack of gear manuals. (Closer if we end here;  So please accept my sincere apology… anyone who did, or may in the future, read that phrase and take offense.  It was nothing more than me trying to paint a  picture of how good the JP-2C really is.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Douglas West
R&D, MESA/Boogie, LTD. 

Thanks for the explanation- I always enjoyed the humor in the manuals, but after V and this I certainly didn't get it-a head scratcher, but I figured something must have gone down behind the scenes-
As far as the "kissing my export tranny "comment..just my attempt at some amplified humor as well
Thanks Doug 8)

Great job and thank you, Doug. As critical as I was about your initial comments, I want to commend your willingness to publicly acknowledge and apologize. Always knew that Mesa was a great company, and am happy this hasn't changed. Further, while improvement and innovation are clearly important, there's no harm in recognizing past achievements - particularly when they include the best single amplifier ever built.

Again, nice job and much success with the JP2C.

Authorized Boogie said:
Dear MARK II-C+ Owners and prospective JP-2C Owners,

1). I want to apologize and humbly beg forgiveness for this offense and assure anyone that took offense at my words that it was meant not as an insult
2). JP-2C really is that good and , in my opinion, better than a MARK II-C+.  Not because it sounds better, but because it offers so many more ways to get at and utilize those great sounds.
3). for I am an admitted II-C+ Snob of the highest order, and I should have made that crystal clear in my writing.
4). include a bit of humor to break up the technical monotony.

When I read this part of the manual I felt it was unnecessary to seemingly slam loyal C+ enthusiasts but I wasn't exactly offended per say . I saw it for what it was (IMHO) , a strategy to sell new product. Like many B/Board members I think it could have been done without potentially alienating loyal customers . Most C+ owners own other Mesa amps or products as well . Blame can't be put solely on Doug West as surely other Mesa "chiefs" and their marketing people saw this before it was released. I appreciate Doug West coming out with the apology, the comments in the manual turned out to be a can of worms that needed to be addressed but I believe he has sincere regret on one level or another. I didn't cancel my order nor do I plan on it , cant wait to get it. But the JP 2C wont devalue the original C+'s and flood the market with plethora of low priced pluses. If it has any affect on the c+ market at all , the price will rise because It would be evident the C+ cant be duplicated close enough in tone and feel should the JP 2C too short of replication .

1). Yeah , I believe he didn't intend to insult anyone of course , I think the intentions were solely marking related .
2). And that's the reason I bought one , my expectations are realistic in terms of tone , I don't expect it to sound exactly like an original.
3). I'll bet , that would have taken the edge of this , history reflects (what I know anyway) that your one of those plus snob guys
4). I didn't get that part but I've been told I have twisted sense of humor, I get the "breaking up the technical monotony" part.

Cant wait to get it , hope there isn't any more delay .
Just wanted to add Mesa service has been 2nd to none , even when sending my original C+'s to Petaluma for repair or maintenance .

YellowJacket said:
barryswanson said:
Storm in a tea cup

Yes, pretty much, but I still find it irksome. I can't believe Doug West had to post a public apology over something so absolutely trivial and inane. :roll:

Agreed, I guess when your that passionate about something you probably feel compelled to do something.

[rant]

I think folks need to grow up, toughen up, and stop being offended by every little thing they see, read, and hear these days. That applies everywhere, not just here. I'm not sure when the world transitioned from a group of bulletproof personalities through the 90's and into the group of whining, complaining, and fragile folks we see today.

I don't mean anyone on this board or anything of the like. I just get tired of turning on the news every day and seeing another example of folks being "offended" by something and thinking it's cool to either bash it or take to social media to demand it be changed, removed, deleted, or apologies to be issued.

You'd think the guitar community of all things would be exempt from this kind of non-sense, especially from a company that has some of the best customer service and customer dedication you'll ever find, but apparently not.

If this post offends you? Good, I don't care...:mrgreen:

Thank you Doug for the amazingly well written manuals over the years. I have often commented about how in-depth and thorough they are, unlike many manufacturers. And thank you Mesa for all the assistance over the years, from amp repair and tune-up's for me to answering my dumb *** questions many years ago when I first discovered your amps and was looking for info. Keep up the great work!

[/rant]

Nobody wants to be called a snob or have their collectors items quickly devalued. Lol. And it didn't come across as humorous to anyone at first. As a matter of fact to me it came across as kinda vengeful. I actually thought Mesa was getting back at IIC+ owners who had talked **** throughout the years.
It is actually kinda funny now, but people were really pissed at first and rightly so. Unfortunately the joke wasn't set up or delivered properly which sometimes happens. But the manuals that Doug writes are the best manuals i have ever read and i thoroughly enjoy reading my Mark V manual.
So yes, an apology was in order in this case.

I didn't think it was a big deal, and it has nothing to do with political correctness rants... This was an obvious continuation from the Mk v manual vibe... Never figured it out
- I know from a good friend that worked at Boogie that Doug has a heart as big as Texas, so it puzzled me...
It isn't like I was so pissed I was going to sell all of my **** and quit being a fanboy...after sinking a lot of $, time, posts, gigs, etc ... And spreading the love, I found it real **** puzzling second time around
It didn't stop me from buying a mkv....
I would get a JP2c, but I recently started jonesin' for another lefty PRS... Speaking of, I have a loaded c+ for sale 8)
A little homegrown marketing...but it will not be going at a devalued price!
Big thanks to Doug, again...

Silverwulf said:
[rant]

I think folks need to grow up, toughen up, and stop being offended by every little thing they see, read, and hear these days. That applies everywhere, not just here. I'm not sure when the world transitioned from a group of bulletproof personalities through the 90's and into the group of whining, complaining, and fragile folks we see today.

I don't mean anyone on this board or anything of the like. I just get tired of turning on the news every day and seeing another example of folks being "offended" by something and thinking it's cool to either bash it or take to social media to demand it be changed, removed, deleted, or apologies to be issued.

You'd think the guitar community of all things would be exempt from this kind of non-sense, especially from a company that has some of the best customer service and customer dedication you'll ever find, but apparently not.

If this post offends you? Good, I don't care...:mrgreen:

Thank you Doug for the amazingly well written manuals over the years. I have often commented about how in-depth and thorough they are, unlike many manufacturers. And thank you Mesa for all the assistance over the years, from amp repair and tune-up's for me to answering my dumb *** questions many years ago when I first discovered your amps and was looking for info. Keep up the great work!

[/rant]

Yes. This. Well said.

Latest posts

Back