The Electradyne is drawing me back in...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DWAKO said:
I may have miss-communicated, the Dyne and Edge mode are inherently very different beasts, yes. But what I meant is with some heavy tweaking I'm able to get out of the edge setting something similar to what I would have wanted from the Dyne. But, I don't understand why the Edge setting gets so much hate... It's quite possibly my favorite in channel 2. I just think it reacts very differently to different pickups/guitars, I've had certain guitars where I used that channel and did not like it at all, but it loves my Bare Knuckles and I get everything I want out of it. :mrgreen:

Edge mode is certainly my favorite from CH2. Great tones live there. In fact, thats what I love about the RA, it can there too and loves Bare Knuckles :D

Edge mode is certainly my favorite from CH2. Great tones live there. In fact, thats what I love about the RA, it can there too and loves Bare Knuckles :D

+1 on the RA loving Bare Knuckles. I almost had written off wanting the RA until I tried it with my stupid Nailbombs... now they're trying to convince me to spend even more money.

I'm going to be eating my words a little bit here... But lately I had been hearing great things about the Way Huge Green Rhino MK II so after I got off work and had some time to kill I had a bright idea "why not try it through an Electra Dyne". You see my number one issue with the ED was the gain to saturation ratio, no matter where I set the master, volume, presence, treble and mid controls I couldn't find the sweet spot where I had the appropriate response/attack, without it feeling to "saggy" or overly saturated. As much as pedals aren't my main cup o tea I tried, OCDs, Maxon OD808s, Xotic BB, Full Drives... Etc. nothing hit the spot with me, all of them I felt altered the tone in such away it took away from what I liked about the Dyne already. So I sold it and switched to the Mark V which is AMAZING, but in a very different way. Anyway, so I plugged the Rhino in front of the ED through a 4x12 and I was FLOORED, it was everything I had wanted out of the amp initially but I never could get. The "notch" and "curve" features on the Green Rhino are what sets it apart, I can easily adjust how much attack and response I want as well as how tight I want the low end response to be (also a big former issue), it was the missing link for me. So just to test it I fired up the Mark V next to it through the same cab with my settings on channel 3, it sounded great, but I honestly preferred the ED + GR combo! The highs were far more musical. Just to make I wasn't hearing things I got the guitar tech to come in the room and I asked him which combo sounded better to him and he said the ED/GR setup. So... I think I actually am going to go back to the ED (unless I can track down a good deal on an RA), the Green Rhino was a definite game changer, it will turn an ED into a metal machine for sure, some of the most musical heavy tones I've heard.

Very interesting. I just listened to some Green Rhino videos and was surprised how similar it can sound to the ED. Seems like both the Rhino and the ED wold make a great combination.

Now Im wondering if I can use it on the RA-100s clean channel to get ED tones :D

Well, I knew my GAS wouldn't be settled unless I got an RA, so I traded my Mark V for Assumer's RA. So far I'm really enjoying it! It's a very different beast but I really appreciate the differences. I have had a chance to really crank it up yet living in an apartment. But I'm going on tour in a month so it'll get a lot of playing time. It very different from the Dyne as well, it's a different beast all on its own, but I love that. Plus the tone perfectly fits the band I am playing for where as the Mark V could get there, but not hit the sweet spot like the RA. I need to get a Green Rhino ASAP to pair with it as well! I'll update as I spend more time with it.

Nice, interested to hear how the Green Rhino goes with the RA.

I had the same issue with the MKV. I really wanted the MKV to be my amp, but just couldn't get it to sing like the ED or RA.

One day after work at GC I decided to pick up a Green Rhino MKII, I was itching to try it with my RA. The end result was simply... Incredible. It did exactly what I wanted it to, I liked it even more than when paired with the ED, as well as the fact I was able to achieve Metal tones that I prefer over the Mark V using it as a clean boost! I am 100% sold on the Green Rhino, it is very Dyne like, and does pair well with the clean channel on the RA.

I'm trying the Rhino but I think I like the BB Preamp a little more still. The Rhino's low end seems a little thuddy where the BB has a tighter zing to it. YMMV.

I listened to all your soundcloud tracks, danyeo1. Really nice playing! Wow!

DWAKO said:
One day after work at GC I decided to pick up a Green Rhino MKII, I was itching to try it with my RA. The end result was simply... Incredible. It did exactly what I wanted it to, I liked it even more than when paired with the ED, as well as the fact I was able to achieve Metal tones that I prefer over the Mark V using it as a clean boost! I am 100% sold on the Green Rhino, it is very Dyne like, and does pair well with the clean channel on the RA.

I have got to try one :lol:

What kinds of music do you play ?

What kinds of music do you play ?

A variety of things, I dabble in blues and jazz here and there but I mainly play aggressive rock, and modern progressive metal; aggressive music with melody, I really dig bands like Fair to Midland and Thrice, but I really enjoy great riffing from bands like Lamb of God, Mark Morton is a huge influence.

Right now I'm on touring filling in with a band called Kiros which is more of an Alt Rock thing, I've been using the RA every night and it's been performing like a champ! It's such a versatile amplifier, I think I do like it better than the Mark V, it definitely plays nicer with pedals.

Latest posts

Back