thd hotplate | triple rec with silicon diodes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxb216

Reaction score
Hi Friends, first posting here!

I have a year 2000 triple rec hooked up to (2) "rectifier standard" mesa 4x12s. My triple rec is of course not the multi-watt model that is selling today.

My question is regarding the THD hotplate. I have a 4ohm THD hotplate hooked up to the (2) 8ohm 4x12s and things sounds great with the triple rec set to "vacuum tubes".

I want to however know if it is possible to switch the triple rec to "silicon Diodes" and still use the hotplate.

I know that the hotplate user guide says:

Q. Can I use the Hot Plate with a solid state amp?

A. NO! The Hot Plate and the power section of the amp will be damaged if the amp does not use output tubes. Thus, even if an amp has preamp tubes, it CANNOT be used with the Hot Plate if it has a solid state output section. However, an amp that has a solid-state pre-amp section but a tube output section CAN be used with the Hot Plate.

Does this mean I can or cannot use the hotplate with the triple rec set to "silicon diodes"?

Thanks again in advance...

Your amp is a tube amp regardless of whether it's tube or diode rectified, so yes, you can still use the Hot Plate.

The rect tubes are not your output, that would be the 6L6's, your amp is tube output so it is fine to use the hotplate.

Latest posts

Back