That small cap in IIC+ mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I think that Doug West needs to be exonerated: the small cap for IIC+ mode from His Highness The Ceeness is the bomb. Once the tone itself is fleshed out via floor coupling/fx loop gymnastics that small cap makes all the difference in the world.

That amp is tight AND full. You can pick at about a million miles an hour and it sounds fantastic.

I can certainly tell the difference between this, Mark IV mode, and the JP-2C (as MisterSmitty had also pointed out).

On Mark IV mode, I don't care, because it's so great at what IT does, too.

Smitty and I have both noticed that our Mark IIIs have the same kind of picking response as IIC+ mode on the Mark V. Did they switch to small caps for the III?

I don't know about the Mark 3. But being as though both capacitors are present in the Mark 5. Why couldn't Mesa have offered a switch between the two. Rather than something like Mark 1 mode thick/normal switch. Even now, 15 months later I find limited use for the Mark 1 mode on normal setting. It never gets used on thick. I was reading the instruction book last night where Doug pretty much said he was the only person to want to go with basing the sound on the non-eq 2c+. All I could think is "well yeah it'd be nice to have both options. Being as though you had to talk your colleagues round. And now it is out a lot of people say it doesn't sound right". And I favour 2c+ mode as it is now. I like the clarity of it.

I like it without the EQ engaged and in triode like the manual recommends. But I'm more intrigued in the fact that dlpasco is playing with his Mark V instead of his JP2C? If your over it mate I'll give it a good home :p

I think they maybe confused matters a bit by making the Mark IV and Mark IIC+ modes out to be radically different. Looking at the schematic, the lead circuits are nearly identical. The only differences really are 1) They toggle from small cap to large cap, and 2) they toggle from not pull deep to pull deep, 3) they bypass a 3k3 resistor where they old effects loop used to be in Mark IV mode, and 4) (and this part is a little unclear) I think the negative feedback/presence control is a bit different.

So it seems like anyone who's missing the Pull Deep or larger coupling cap should probably find it in Mark IV mode.

I've had my Mk V for about 7-8 yrs and used C+ mode pretty much the entire time. BUT recently, I've been experimenting with IV mode & triode....I really like how that sounds.

MrSmitty said:
I've had my Mk V for about 7-8 yrs and used C+ mode pretty much the entire time. BUT recently, I've been experimenting with IV mode & triode....I really like how that sounds.

How does C+ mode on your V:25 compare to the full Mark V or the Mark III?

I'm bouncing back and forth between IV/Pentode and C+/Triode depending on what I am playing. Also tried C+/Pentode today, just for kicks.

Latest posts

Back