Tesla ECC83 tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
i am thinking of buying a pair of the Tesla ECC83 tubes for my Roadster. From what I read, it is great in V1. Is this tube worth the extra money and how will it help my tone? Also, I have seen some that have 32 under the tesla stamp and others that say 37. What does this mean?
Basically, I am looking to obtain a crisper rhythm and a smoother lead tone. Also, I am going to try EL34's instead of 6L6's.
Thanks

Are they *really* Tesla tubes or the JJ tubes? The JJ's are *not* the same as the old Teslas!

The JJ Ecc803S is probably the best sounding JJ preamp tube, but is really hard to find. Their Ecc83's are really dark and lack soul.

If you can find their Ecc803s, try it in the V1 position and try Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the phase inverter/tube driver position. It just might make you grin!

ty

The Tesla you want are called e83cc or ecc803s, not ecc83. Will say that on the label. Some e83cc were made without gold plating on the pins. Have not seen tesla ecc803s with non plated pins. Thee are some fakies occasionally sold on ebay of this type. You want to be able to see through the gap between the plates looking between them, not a plate of shielding, and you want to see the getter halo with two supports on top of the a-frame instead of one, you want to see light yellow printing on ecc803s and e83cc instead of dark yellow, white printing often is found on e83cc. Expect to pay 65-100 bucks each. Ecc803s and e83cc are special quality, 10,000 hour rated tubes. I think they sound better than the uber spendy Mullard 10m 12ax7's in guitar amps too.

I have about a dozen of these. I truly feel that they are best used in a position following the first tube for a given channel. They make such good copies of the first tubes signal, and they have NO bad audio manners. They will provide a creamier edge on distorted tones, and are very musical should you choose to use them in a first position for any amp channel. Possibly too smooth and creamy for some.

Another must have vintage old stock euro tube is the Siemens shortplate ecc83, they are fabulous, and their e83cc triple mica IMHO is a must have for a lead channel first position. The Siemens e83cc goes on eBay for about the same amount as the tesla e83cc, and the ecc83 of theirs goes 25-50-ish apiece. The double mica ecc83 has very similar tones to the more expensive e83cc. Lots of bottom and fat mids like a Mullard, but more harmonic detail both clean and dirty. I once saw Siemens shortplate ecc83 on eBay with Mesa labeling...

Hope this helps. Peace.

thunda1216 said:
Are they *really* Tesla tubes or the JJ tubes? The JJ's are *not* the same as the old Teslas!

The JJ Ecc803S is probably the best sounding JJ preamp tube, but is really hard to find. Their Ecc83's are really dark and lack soul.

If you can find their Ecc803s, try it in the V1 position and try Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the phase inverter/tube driver position. It just might make you grin!

ty

I believe Tube Depot has them in stock. :D :D

I would be pleasantly surprised if the tesla in stock are the short plate frame grid type from the tooling used to make Telefunken ecc803s...that type is what I have been writing about in my various posts.

212Mavguy said:
I would be pleasantly surprised if the tesla in stock are the short plate frame grid type from the tooling used to make Telefunken ecc803s...that type is what I have been writing about in my various posts.

No, I am sure they are not.
But they do claim to have the JJ ecc803s referred to.
And they seem to have good prices on them and customer service. (not intended as a plug, but I have had good experience with TD)

Take care! :)

Yep, the JJ ecc803s that are often found from vendors such as England's hightly Watford Valves are a longplate design that came along later than the short plate frame grid version.

JH, let us know how they work out for you if you get them. That would be a good thing.

Would you suggest trying the JJ ecc803? I don't think I can spend the kind of money I would like right now on tubes. I know current tubes are not as good as nos, but are there any you would recommend Mav? I was going to just get the Dougstubes Mesa setup, but thought I would ask around first.
Also, I am going to try EL34's in my Roadster. Do you have any recommendations for them? People have talked about Tun Sol EL34b's, SED winged C's, and Doug recommends the Ruby EL34Bstr's. What are your thoughts?

Thanks Again

To be truthful, I have not listened to the JJ longplate ecc803s, but from what I have heard via online gossip they are supposed to be highly regarded. Why not? Costs about as much as a case of beer, that's cheap compared to your Mesa.

As far as el34's go, I like JJ e34l. Depends on what the amp likes more than the user's prejudices... I thought that the svetlana's I have were too bright and the distortion was not as musical.

The best thing to remember about acquiring NOS or VOS tubes is to be patient and don't get all on them at once! If I was in your shoes I'd go ahead and start perusing auctions of those suggested types anyway. Get one new one per month or every other month, on the weeks where bils are lowest. It's all about being a buzzard, hover over the auctions and swoop down in the last little bit to bid. Fwooosh! Lots of deals are done on Sunday evenings, but I have gotten some screaming deals by bidding on items that did not close at prime times.

Also, if you don't use metal tone amounts of gain, vintage 12at7's work great in clean or dirty channels, they sound wonderful and can be had for dirt cheap, like 5-25 bucks each from a wide variety of makers plus shipping. There is a ton of gain in the circuits of most Mesa amps. Don't have to get the uber spendy cork sniffer ones to get great tones out of vintage at7's.

WAY too many guitar players are hung up on 12ax7's and some on 5751's...a 5751 is 70% of the gain of a 12ax7 and an at7 is 60% of the gain of a 12ax7, that 10% difference between 5751 and 12at7 is small in the amp/ear relationship. Look for a 12at7wa, wb, or wc, 6201, ecc81, e81cc, ecc801s, 6060, all those are 12at7 types, sound great and are surprisingly inexpensive for the most part. Tough to beat the bang/buck of a 12at7wc JAN Philips. If you want a brighter tone try a 6201 GE. Both can be had less than 10 bucks each. What you don't like you can get rid of. Those suggested tubes are both military issue, they are of top quality in construction, nobody builds them as well today. The new producion ones can be more expensive than vintage ones carefully purchased.

Save your Mesa tubes, do not get rid of them if your amp is under warranty.

I may be in the minority but I love the JJ ECC83 in V1. Cuts off the fuzzy buzzy hi end & accenuates the mids. I didn't like the JJ803s in V1. Way to much hi end for my taste. Didn't even like the raytheon long black plate in V1 but love it V3.

As for power tubes my fav is the JJ E34L's. Tightens up the low end on a recto. 6L6's have to much bass for the distortion channel but sound great for cleans.

Latest posts

Back