Tell me about the Sus-4 mounting system

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CitizenCain

Reaction score
I just got a Mk I reissue and the chassis is mounted with what I think is called the SUS-4 suspension system? It's pretty cool, I've never seen an amp mounted like this. I assume it's to help isolate the amp from cab vibrations in a combo setup.

Are the heads mounted this same way? I'm thinking of converting this into a head to make it a touch lighter and more usable with a couple cabs I have.

Thanks!

Cool, then I don't have to worry about locating any particular head cab. In fact, I have one from a Sundown amp that I think I can use.

Are there any recommendations about mounting the reverb tank? I don't want to get it too close to something and pick up some hum.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot stand having to mount my chassis in the SUS-4 that the combo cabinet I have is configured for though I suppose it is doing its job. It is a real pain in the @$$ to have to get everything aligned. I much prefer mounting into a head shell though I prefer the convenience of the combo cabinet being that I am not hauling the combo around right now. A SUS-4 head cabinet would be kind of tall and really kind of pointless. As far as head cabinets go, I cannot determine whether I like the older tolex or the newer tolex so I have both. I like the leather corners because they look classier but I like the metal corners because it looks more metal.

I've never seen the inside of a Boogie head setup. Is there anything unique about them? Like, do they use a shielding plate over the chassis, anything like that?

There is a fair amount of aluminum shielding on the inside of the top of the cabinet above the chassis. There are also little angle tabs that assist you in holding your amp close enough to screw in (though with the SUS-4 it made no difference with a loose washer).

The reason I had difficulties is that the little washers that sit on top of the chassis inside the cabinet are difficult to line up when they are loose. One of mine came loose and I found it extraordinarily difficult to keep it in place while trying to align the little machine screw that holds the chassis in the cabinet via the SUS-4 mount.

To get your fan and reverb tank out you have to remove the chassis to get to the fasteners while crammed in the head cabinet. I found it easier to connect the reverb cabling to your chassis prior to installation because of my rather large stubby fingers on my right hand. Once it is installed then you can reconnect it to the tank. The fan cord is another something to have connected if possible while you are installing the chassis. Again my fingers would not allow me to insert it into the location beside the transformer without the amp being halfway out of the cabinet.

The reverb tank is installed by means of t-nuts and screws. Between the reverb tank and cabinet you should use the rubber grommets that Mesa can provide you with to ensure that it is held firmly but still cushioned.

Back