Tell me about the DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teetopkram

Reaction score
Greetings to everyone from a new member -

I have been on the quest for months for a used two channel combo with a Fender clean and a great, well rounded, classic rock overdrive channel. Effects loop and direct out are plusses. My quest has taken me through several Fender, Rivera, Crate, Marshall, and Vox options, but nothing really has grabbed me yet.

Today at GC I tried a used DC-3...holy crap, the tonal options. A wonderful, chimey clean sound, and a very different, yet awesome overdrive sound that got much more saturated than I'd ever need. And it was LOUD! Sounded awesome (though the master volume pot was a bit scratchy).

Anyway...I am obviously excited about this option. However, I know every little about this amp (or Mesa's in general), given they are usually outside of my $500-700 price range (I can get the DC-3 for $550 with the footswitch).

Can anyone provide information about this amp...it's reputation, it's reliability, what type of music it's use mostly for, etc?

Thanks so much!!!!

Mark

The DC-3 is a great little amp. Incredibly versatile. I've used one for years. The price sounds like it's within the normal range if it's in decent shape. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with one of these - it'll get you to almost every tone you're looking for. It is a very loud 35 watts that will be sufficient for almost every situation.

I'm sure others will chime in, but as far as I know, the reputation on these amps is very good. As far as reliability, they do very well - mine has only had one minor issue relating to the graphic eq that was easily fixed. It runs hot and will go through power tubes fairy quickly if you play a lot. Sounds awesome if you mate it to a quad box or a 2x12.

It's useable for almost all types of music because it's so versatile. I don't think you'd regret picking it up if you can afford it - and really that's a fairly good price.

Latest posts

Back