tell me about ear candy cabs pls

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
specifically, the sovereign-

if i dig greenback sound, and i'm using it for recording only....
choices of speakers besides the greenback?

camsna's got a buzzbomb. I have brutal GAS for one of those, but they are rare up here... I'm going down to the Bay Area next month and I may see if I can find one to plug into.

Never seen anyone around here with a Sovereign...

I've got TWO BuzzBombs ;)

Whaddaya need to know?

As far as greenback-sounding speakers? No idea. I'm not a greenback guy. But Tim at EarCandy FREAKING IS a speaker guy. Shoot him an email:

[email protected]

Tell him that Cam sent you :) He's a great guy. He'll take great care of you!

PS - I'm saving up for a pair of Soverign 112s. They're KILLER!

EarCandy Cabs can install Eminence brand speakers in there.
So actually there is a better sounding 'Greenback' that Eminence makes.
Get yourself a 2x12 loaded with Eminence Private Jack speakers.
You'll have a great sounding cab ready to play at home or party out
in rehearsels or live club work.
In fact anyone that wants a greenback type of sound can install
the Eminence Private Jacks and transform an original ho-hum sounding OEM cab
into a classic rocker.

gonzo said:
specifically, the sovereign-

if i dig greenback sound, and i'm using it for recording only....
choices of speakers besides the greenback?

I have a Sovereign. it is made well and by design will sound a little fuller than a Mesa Thiele 1x12 but somewhat less punchy. Wide and warm seems to be what Ear Candy voiced the Sovereign to do.

If you like greenbacks, then install one into a sovereign. Nothing really sounds like a real greenie.As for substitutes, the private jack from eminence would be fuller with a less harsh treble response.

YOU might also like the G-12H30 from Celestion

Earcandy cabs:

Made by bullshit artists...

...for bullshit artists.

More like nose candy. :twisted:

Earcandy cabs:

Made by bullshit artists...

...for bullshit artists.

More like nose candy.

Well I too have to admit that the front loading Ear Candy cabs are ummm.. well not the best. At least they were not a little while ago.
If the OP has a choice and yet still wants to remain within a very reasonable budget, then I would suggest checking out Avatar cabs. Dave will set you up nicely (and with the Eminence Private Jacks if that's what you decide). I have had less than stellar experiences with Ear Candy Cabs although Tim is a stand up guy. Perhaps they have improved their cabs though from the boxy sounding front load models.

Not sure how you guys feel about front loading . But it's ok to front load a cab if that is the sound you are going for. my Suhr CAA 2x12 is front loaded,ported ,dampened and sounds very good.

In a 1x12, front loading can help make the cabinet sound fuller and more open. Rear loading can sound punchier and chunkier but at the expense of sounding fuller.

So if you're saying that Ear Candy isn't built well in general, that's one thing but if you happen to be saying that they are not good cabinets because they are front loaded , I would have to disagree with that.

Front or rear loading isn't my issue with them. I have no idea if they're well built or not. I just object to the pseudo technical mumbo-jumbo on their site.

I can't countenence a company that makes BS claims about their cabs "reading the room" and "adapting to the speaker fitted to them". It's just total crap. Next they'll be claiming to use 'secret alien technology' or some such.

They may indeed sound good. I'm unlikely to ever sample one here in Australia though so I can only look at their site and laugh my arse off.

Front loading works very well in the Mesa cabs, and others such as Genz-Benz, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work for others.

Sorry to come on strong but their hype really offends my sensibilities.

Cheers!

P.S. Theile and Small, the guys who codified and wrote up proper scientific cab design, were Australian and we're a bit protective of 'em.

:wink:

Gruff - I understand what you're saying. But please don't bash them so hard when you admit not to know about the cabs.

You offend me personally when you attack EC. I'm a loyal user. And Tim has become a good friend of mine. He is a good man who endeavors only to make the best cabs around and take care of his customers. He's NOT out to rip people off or claim 'secret alien technology or some such.'

Whether or not you agree with the 'pseudo technical mumbo-jumbo,' Ear Candy makes a VERY well built cab. Certainly better than Avatar - who I like and respect very much. Dave is a great guy who also makes a great product.

And the 2 EC cabs that I have are great. I can't recommend them highly enough. And so do all the people I've recommended Ear Candy to.

Anyhow. I understand your criticism. But please take it easy because you're personally attacking my friend.

great info guys!

the port city cabs, are just out of my budget...

same with the bogner...

i'm still considering the ear candy...

but am also interested in the avatar vintage in a 1x12.....

closed back...

since i'm using this for recording, and i use a weber mass to tame the beast, i want a low watt speaker, that i can drive harder...

i'm on the fence, between a g12h, g12m, red fang, or private jack.

also, to consider, would be a celestion gold, or heritage g12....

i'm looking for tight bass, smooth slightly scooped mids, super smooth high end...

more ideas?

Wait. You're only using it for recording?

Why, then, would you use the Weber attenuator? Run the amp WIDE open. man!!!

And as far as speaker choice, pick one that compliments your amp. You can do the mid scooping in post.

the reason for quiet recording, is because the landlord lives right on the other side of my recording space!!!

LOL

so, there is a good reason.

also, i use the Palmer junction now, to capture my sound.

so, honestly, the cab is only for my own monitor purposes, though i WILL occassionally mic the cab, and blend that sound with the palmer.

so, a low watt speaker, that is accurately voiced for a FULL sound, at about 25 watts, is what i'm really looking for.

Dude. It's just a monitor? Then it really doesn't matter much. Get anything as long as it's cheap. If you're recording through the Palmer - then as long as you can hear yourself you should be cool. Seriously. Tone schmone! You got the Palmer for that!

camsna said:
Gruff - I understand what you're saying. But please don't bash them so hard when you admit not to know about the cabs.

You offend me personally when you attack EC. I'm a loyal user. And Tim has become a good friend of mine. He is a good man who endeavors only to make the best cabs around and take care of his customers. He's NOT out to rip people off or claim 'secret alien technology or some such.'

Whether or not you agree with the 'pseudo technical mumbo-jumbo,' Ear Candy makes a VERY well built cab. Certainly better than Avatar - who I like and respect very much. Dave is a great guy who also makes a great product.

And the 2 EC cabs that I have are great. I can't recommend them highly enough. And so do all the people I've recommended Ear Candy to.

Anyhow. I understand your criticism. But please take it easy because you're personally attacking my friend.

I have a buzzbomb 2x12 and a bailey 2x8. Good sounding cabs indeed, and I can also tell you from personal experience that Tim is a very friendly and helpful guy. Great customer service.

Latest posts

Back