Tele_Jas, So What's The Scoop?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Warner

Reaction score
I was just wondering how it went with the EL34's in the Roadster. I know you tried it out before but you were giving it another shot. Just curious what your thoughts were this time around.

Keep us posted
Thanks

Calling me out, huh? :wink:

Well, I popped them in and messed around with it for a few minutes.........then the few minutes turned in to a few more minutes... and so on for about 2 hours!!

They definately gave me more of a "british" tone and made the clean/tweed channel a touch more "chimey". I put it on spongy and set it to 50 wts and then on recto tracking in vintage mode on channel 3 and it made it pretty dark sounding.... I bumped the treble up to about 2:00 - 3:00 and it sounded pretty darn amazing....Spongy, Brown, bite and warm... all at the same time!! I think I'm going to keep the EL34's in there for a while, too bad I don't have a gig this weekend where I play distorted (It's an acoustic gig).

I wish I could afford to get an Ace and keep the Roadster too, because after another trial, the Ace didn't come up to the Roadster level on cleans..... but the distortion was equally as good and maybe better suited for different styles than a Dual Recto would be.

VERDICT: I like the EL34's a lot more than the first time I tried them and better than 6L6's for now.

Thanks for the update!

Coinsidentally (sp?) I happened to find some old tubes last night (actually they're pretty much brand new). I think they were ones I was trying/swapping when I had the Stilletto head. There is a matched set of EL34's in there (from Eurotubes I think). I might just have to try them out this weekend and see what happens. I'm kind of afraid to though because I'm really lovin' the ch3 and 4 recto tones from the Roadster! But I am really curious to see what the EL34's do to the brit mode.

Yeah, I'd love to go out and just buy an ace though. Actually bonuses are coming out soon though! Hmmmmmmmmm

Back